Sign in to follow this  

Yahoo, I soloed today too!

I finally got my instructor out of the plane! We did a little pattern work, a few takeoffs and landings, and when I asked if I could take it around alone he said "sure". I was told quite awhile ago that I was ready to solo the next nice day and whenever I felt ready. Well, it actually took me longer to "feel" ready than I expected.I took lessons 12 years ago and soloed after 5 hours (thanks to flight sim!) on a runway half the length and width of the one I currently use (N03 vs KITH). Something about being a little older and having a wife and kids that has made me a bit more cautious this time around (about 17 hours at this school, 31 total).It's exhilirating to suddenly be alone in the plane! It seems faster, climbs better, and floats farther. It also bounces a little easier as I found out (just a little one!) :-eek I talked to myself a lot, deterimined not to miss something stupid in the checklist. Now I can't wait for my solo cross-country! Thanks to all the pilots here, real or otherwise, who encouraged me to go for it and answered my many silly questions over the years!David

Cessna 152. The club also has 172s and a Mooney (guess the Moonie will wait awhile though!). Thanks for support!David

Way to go David! :-yellow1 :-jumpy :-yellow1Congrats!Ken

Congrats buddy! It really starts to get better now! That's hurdle 1. More to go, but you will NEVER forget this one! My instructor boosted me with confidence. He asked me for my wallet. I asked him "why"? he said to identify the body! LOL! I told him thanks and off I went. Needless to say, the body is still functioning! LOL!!! Again, congrats buddy!Don

By the way....Do they still cut the shirt off your back? They did in my day.Don

Guest Sabadin

I think the new tradition is soaking the student. And in my case it also involved a ride in a bathtub with wings past the control tower for all to see. Are the 172s where you are S models? Let me tell you those things are like rockets solo compared to the old 150/152. They really like to float though unless you have flaps at 30.(kinda miss having 40 for those days when you really wanna stop quick)

HiGreat stuff.I soloed not long ago and it was great having the plane to myself.crosscountries are a blast and I have just completed my second.KPNE/KLNS.Good LuckRon

Wow thats great man!I want to take flying lessons badly, and respect anybody who has. Just dont have the nerve yet i guess. I had just went to the Sussex county airshow here in NJ, and instantly got the fever! Not my first airshow mind you,but this show in particular really got my blood pumping :DI know oneday i will do it :)=Swivet=