Sign in to follow this  

Installing Self Executing Drivers on Windows XP

Would some kind soul be good enough to give me the low down on the above. The Guru 3D "how to instal" site appears to be for the older style of driver.At present, after disabling the Anti-virus software, I go to Add/Remove programs, reboot, and then find my downloads folder and select the new driver. This works OK, but wipes out all the data from before the install on my Go Back program.Thank you for any help offered.

Guest dek

Biggles, I think maybe you're not getting an answer because no one understands exactly what you are asking (at least I don't). What driver are you trying to install? If it is self-executing, then you should not have to do much of anything. Is this a self extracting folder containing many files (like video card drivers)? A single driver? What data is it wiping out? Is the new install replacing the old data? etc...Help us out so we can help you out! dek

Hi dekThank you for your response. I am installing new video drivers for my Geforce Ti4600 card. These have installed successfully, but in the process have wiped out all the data on my Go Back program. This is a program like System Restore that allows one to recall to an earlier time on the hard drive. It is obvious that I am doing something wrong during the installation process. I was wondering if you could give me a step by step proceedure of what you do. Thanking you for your time.

Guest dek

Hi Biggles, I am not familiar with the Go Back program so I may not be able to help. However, you may not be doing anything wrong! It may be some type of incompatability, or simply a bug. In fact since the new drivers have installed, then its probably not the installation, per se. Maybe a work around would be to take the file in which the saved information (Go Back) is stored, copying it to a location, rename it, and then install the new drivers. When the drivers are installed, simply put back all that you had saved earlier. What version drivers are you trying to install? Is this a self installer?Any more info would be helpful. Hopefully someone else with the Go Back program can help.dek

Hi dekThanks for the reply. The drivers that I succesfully installed (see spec. below) are 40.41. It is just that in the past with the old non self installing type of driver I had no problems with this affecting my Go Back program and now I have.I just wondered if anyone else had suffered with the same problem.Many thanks for your help.My Spec