Sign in to follow this  
greggerm

Oops.....maybe better lucky than good.........

Guest dek

Last week I called my local airport to reserve a C172 for a flight. All 172's were taken so I reserved the Tomahawk. Showed up to go flying only to find out that an 18 year student had crashed it the day before on her cross country solo. She said it lost power so she tried to land in a field. Unfortunately, she hit a tree and it flipped her over and she slammed to the ground upside down destroying the aircraft. She got 2 scratches on her legs as a result of the crash. The FAA inspector said he would fly anytime, anywhere with her because if she walked away from that crash, she had to be a very lucky person.Just a bit of reality in our sim world. dek

Guest Frank Betts

I have just under 2 hours logged in that plane. I flew it when it first came out. I used to call it the "Tramahawk" Don't care for the "T" Tail.Frank.

WOW! Very lucky person, is she still continuing with her PPL?Mike

Guest RobK

I can't beleive all she got were only a couple scratches on her leg! Very lucky person!Rob

Guest Moghdad

Good job on her part--the tree business aside. As a student pilot myself I say that any student who walks away from a real emergency landing has done pretty well. The greatest danger is not from hitting obstacles in the landing field but from the very real possibility of a stall-spin accident on the way to the field.

Well, not that she is going to let her guard down, but she probably believes she's had her biggest freak accident in an airplane. Why not press forward!Just so long as she doesn't let her guard down... Odds are probably with another problem somewhere in her flying future... (as it is with everyone).I think,-Greg