Sign in to follow this  
Guest Eagle92395

How to mass-migrate FS2k2 files and folders to new PC?

I have 2GB of add-on aircraft, sounds, gauges, etc. on my old P3 that I'd love to import into the new P4. I have done a fresh instal of FS2002 into the new P4 and it works fine. I bought the Intellimover from DELL thinking it would assist me to mass migrate thousands of FS files and folders from the P3 to the P4 but I am not sure if it does do this. It seems to move settings only. Has anybody here used Intellimover for such a purpose? I don't need to transfer settings as such between PCs.Failing that, I have archived 500MB of downloaded ZIP files for FS2002 on the P3 so if I could migrate that stuff over to the P4, that would be some help.Appreciate any advice on this matter, thanks again!JS

Do you have NICs in each computers? If not, go to local store and buy two NICs or a complete LAN setup, e.g., Router/Switch, 2 NICS, and cables. You know you want to setup a LAN anyway, so you can run some of the standalone programs on the second computer. A more expensive option is Wireless LAN!If you only use two NICS, you need to buy a crossover cable. With the complete LAN setup straight through cables.If you don't want to do that, buy a parallel or serial cable and connect between both computers.

For what its worth, I concur with wsieffert. Our two Dells--Dim.8200 and 4300--are networked, but I want to transfer some files between the Dell 8200 and a homebuilt, not entire HDs, just a few large files. Both use WinXP but only the 8200 has a CD-RW, and I don't want to buy/install another one in the homebuilt. I am considering using either a parallel male/male connection (Belkin has one for $7.75) or a USB file transfer cable ($31) and effecting the transfer using XP's Files and Transfer Wizard. Haven't done it yet, but I am looking for a one time, cheap method to transfer some files. I believe the cable transfer ought to work to solve my problem and yours. Have you raised your question on the DellTalk forums? You will likely get the same reply as wsieffert's because his recommendation is well made. http://members.cox.net/rfromholz/ADX.jpg

Wow, that looks complex. I don't know if I have NIC cards in each. I've never networked anything. I only want to transfer FS files under Windows 98 in the P3 to the P4 with XP. Is there an app I should look out for that goes with a serial or parallel cable? Thanks for posting.JS

Guest Eagle92395

You can use Direct Cable Connection with a serial cable under Win 98 and XP... but it'll be HORRIDLY slow for 2Gig of material. It is under Programs --> Accessories --> Communications I think. If you need help, just ask. I agree with the others, a router is about 39.99 after rebates PLUS it gives you an external firewall with NAT (network address translation...hidden IP address). Can't go wrong with them. If you have a broadband connection they are priceless. Ethernet cards are about $5-10 a piece.