Sign in to follow this  
Guest Timbo

How do you convert MDL's to scenery?

Guest Timbo

Hi,I was trying to spruce up some scenery by adding static aircraft. I got MDL2BGL and converted a few FS98 models into BGL's. Then I used SCDIS 1.6 to convert the BGL's but they models got messed up when I imported them into FS Scenery Creator. They were way too big and had lines jutting out all over. If anyone can tell me a good way to do this, I'd appreciate it.Thanks!(Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but this is the most popular MSFS forum.)[TABLE BORDER=0][tr][td]

[/td][/tr][tr]

[td]

[link:www.fsworldonline.com/~timsfsstudio]Click here to visit Tim's FS Studio!] Updated August 31st!

[/td][/tr][/TABLE

Convert the models to *.api format (mdl2bgl does this, read the program documentation) and then you import the macro just like any other one.Brian

Guest Timbo

Could you please explain how to do it? Do I need to have the original source code? The only option I see for converting is to BGL and when I read the readme, my converted files came out nothing like the example.[TABLE BORDER=0][tr][td]

[/td][/tr][tr]

[td]

[link:www.fsworldonline.com/~timsfsstudio]Click here to visit Tim's FS Studio!] Updated August 31st!

[/td][/tr][/TABLE

It would be awefully cool if the posky planes were also offerred asstatic bgls....nice to see them parkedas scenery!

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Guest Timbo

Bump.[TABLE BORDER=0][tr][td]

[/td][/tr][tr]

[td]

[/td][/tr][/TABLE

Unfortunately POSKY planes and many of the other complex FS2002 planes do not convert well in MDL2BGL. What does convert well are FS98 planes. Try these.POSKY planes also would not be very good as statics because they are way too complex and their textures too big which may make them look good, but would cause the scenery to stutter to a crawl because of the fps reduction.Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Tim,Here ya go.. a quick tutorial in MDL2BGL.Step one start the program, click the configuration tab, then the update configuration file button. now set all the lines show to point to the directories you want to use with your scenery. Save it.Pic shows my setup.. yours will be different, I change mine when I work on various projects.http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3d7cae1c7222ba56.jpgThen, select the select input tab. click the button that says "open model + air files. point it to the model you want to convert. it then should show alot of data in the screen concerningoitch angle gear height etc. Click the next button... on the next screen which is the output options tab set weather you want lights on, engine running etc on the radio buttons. then click the button marked "Airport/FreeSC macro file" it will then display a button Save .api macro file, click it. a standard windows dialog box will pop up. save the macro. then click the texture information tab. click the copy textures button a box will ask you where you want to copy them. there you now have made an airport compatible api macro that can also be used in scenery creator too. now that eliminates the extra steps of compiling a bgl then decompiling it.Brian

Guest Timbo

Thanks a ton for the tutorial! Turned out I was using the wrong version of MDL2BGL.[TABLE BORDER=0][tr][td]

[/td][/tr][tr]

[td]

[/td][/tr][/TABLE