Sign in to follow this  

ATC help - IFR navigation

I have had some problems with the ATC IFR in FS2002. In a flight from LFPG (Paris Charles de Gaule) to EGPH (Edinburgh) the ATC suddenly asks me to expedite FL300 (which i'm already in) and after that it cancels IFR! Why does it happen???Thanks a lot!

Guest Edam

Did you set your altimeter to 29.92 after crossing FL 180?

Yes i did, all instruments were properly configured

Guest Edam

I'll duplicate the flight to see if it happens to me also.

Alright, just to let you know, it happened when I was already flying over England, under London Center control. It asked me twice to expedite my FL to 300 and then after a couple of minutes it cancelled IFR. I don't know if it's relevant but i was flying a 737-400. Thanks a lot

I could be wrong here, but I think if you hit Shift-Z you'll see your true altitude and heading, regardless of what your barometric pressure is set at. When I was just starting out I once noticed that my altimeter reading on the instrument panel was at least 500ft off from the Shift-Z banner at the top of the screen, and only later did I realize it was because I was never touching the barometric pressure. Hopefully referring to the Shift-Z banner will expose what ATC is complaining about, confirming that you really aren't maintaining 30,000 ft. (FL300) as instructed.

Guest Pabra

This happens when there are sudden changes in barometric pressure when flying with real world weather; after a couple of "climb to or descent to's, atc cancelles ifr, "as real as it gets" Let's all pray this ends here and fs2004 sees the light as far as atc procedures go..This goes for artificial idiots too!!!regards, Paul Brand

Thanks for the Shift+Z tip. I did the reverse trip, from EGPH to LFPG, ATC asked me to expdite my altitude to FL300 again, so what i ddi was going to 30,100 feet... it stoped complaining! All instruments were properly set, specially the altimeter. Oh well, maybe that was just a glitch in the program.Cheers!

This just happened to me for the first time last night. I was on a flight from KCLE to KJFK. I was at FL270, and ATC kept complaining, and then cancelled my flight plan. I was using "real weather", and did make sure that my barometer was set properly.I tried this flight twice, and it happened each time. Next, I tried the flight without real weather, and it worked fine.I'm assuming this is a bug with ATC and real weather, but who knows. Now we just need a work around to not have ATC cancel the plan after they complain!- JD

Just make sure that when you say your barometer was set "Properly" you mean properly as in 29.92 no matter what the B key is telling you above FL180

Thanks Fred. Between the time I posted and your message, someone also told me the same. I should have known that rule, and feel stupid for asking. That was my problem... it wasn't at 29.92 above 18000.- JD

You bet, hey, I used to fly for real 10 years ago and when I first got this game the same thing happened to me ;_)))I forgot about that as well ;-))

Ken, to reset altimeter, hit the 'B' key.Normally only need adjusting after climbing or descending FL180.

But do NOT hit the B key above FL180 as you'll again have FS2002 cancel your IFR plan. You have to manually set it to 29.92 above FL180 Always!You do this by turning the altimiter setting nob on the altimiter.