Sign in to follow this  
Guest flightpro08

What kind of chipset are you using?

Still researching parts to upgrade my "dream system" and would like to know what type of chipsets you guys/gals are using on your motherboards. I have heard good and bad about the Sis 645DX chip sets and I have heard good and bad about Intel 845's.I need some techy help from you guys as to what I should buy or just some info on your chipset type and if you've had good or bad experiences with them.Thanks for your time.Carl

Guest JoakimE

I have an Asus P4B533-V motherboard with the Intel 845G chipset, and I would recomend both that mb and chipset >:-)

I'm using the Intel 845 chipset. I recently replaced my Intel 845HV (Which I have for sale in "the mall") motherboard with the Intel 845EBG2. I did the upgrade so that I could switch to DDR Ram, and so far, I love it. I'm running a 478pin P4 with it and 512Mb Ram and a Radeon 7500, and get a very smooth 35 FPS with most sliders at or near max. Hope this helps.MikeOcala, Florida

Using an Asus A7V333 with Via KT333 chipset. Couldn't be happier. Well, that's not true anymore since the KT400 is out ;).Matt

Intel 845D (Brookdale) chipset on a Gigabyte GA-8IRXP MoBoP4 2.2GHz - Fast and very stable combo.Mike

Guest jase439

845G w/ high-end DDR ram is a GREAT buy right now. I have an MSI 845G Max-L mainboard with 2.4Ghz and 512MB PC3200 DDR ram. You experience the sim like a hot knife through butter. Both the ASUS and MSI boards have great support for OC'ing as well. You'll pay a bit more for the ASUS, but you get what you pay for - they make a nice product. The MSI board is a great bang-for-the-buck, and they have 1st class tech support. Gigabyte makes nice boards also - highly tweakable, although I don't know if they have a board on the market yet with the 845G (you definitely want the 845G, and not the 845E).Suggest you surf over to Tom's Hardware. They size these products up pretty well.J

Guest flightpro08

Intel 845G chipset here. Fairly nice chipset.Ryan-Flightpro08 :-coolVATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Controller 1 (C-1)SAN TRACON Lead [link:www.taxiwaysigns.com]Taxiwaysigns.com Scenery Designer-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 40.41 Drivers)512MB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*3dMark2001SE Score: 11298

Guest Eagle92395

Iwill Par4 w/ Intel I850E chipset. Smokin board, but it's pricey. I had the SIS 645E-Max board, and for the money it is an excellent board. It handles heat and power dips better than any board I've had.

Guest jase439

Are you running the RDRAM 1066 or 800 on that board? I came close to choosing the 850E - it's a screamer, but the RAMBUS memory factor was a deterent for me. I opted for high speed DDR instead. The bandwidth on that RAMBUS memory is incredible though.

Guest Eagle92395

I'm running 1066 Rambus on it. Very nice :) I have DDR333 on my MSI SIS-645E Max board that my brother uses, very nice combo too. Would highly recommend either one. MSI is cheap for the speed and service is A+. Haven't contacted service for my 850 yet... so I don't know :)