Sign in to follow this  
N562Z

More RAM?

I have a Gateway PIII 500MHz with 128MB RAM and a decent video card with 16 MB of RAM. Right now if I am at a busy airport like O'Hare and I have the AI traffic maxed and the other sliders at normal I get about 3 to 6 fps if I am viewing the AI aircraft or when I am comming in for landing or taking off.Will an additional 128 MB of RAM help with frame rates? If so, about how much will it help?Thanks!

I think your CPU is holding performance back a lot.A good way to see if more RAM would help is to look at the HDD activity LED on your computer when you're flying. If it's flashing like crazy it means the computer is using the harddrive for virtual memory. In that case, upgrading the RAM will help a lot.I consider 256MB a minimum these days.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

GP:Yes, the more RAM the better for graphics-intense games like FS2002. I have 640 MB and I'm thinking seriously about swapping out the 128 chip for a 256 to max it out at 768MB. AS long as your computer can handle it (check the user's manual) I recommend it.Alex CN562ZMinneapolis, MN

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.