Sign in to follow this  
Guest jase439

SP1 and FS2k2

Guest flightpro08

Hey everyone. I thought I just let everybody know that I just finished downloading and installing 'Service Pack 1' for Windows XP. I've strugled with the 'swimming' and 'flickering' textures for a long time, but I think I've finally found a fix. SP1, (along with DirectX 8.1b which comes along with it) really gets rid of most of the swimming and flickering textures. While I still have some, it's just because I run FS2k2 at 1024X768. So, for anybody not sure about getting SP1, go grab it now. :-)Oh, and one more thing. My FS2k2 text (FPS couter, etc) is blurry and jagged since I installed SP1, anybody else noticing this?)Ryan-Flightpro08 :-coolVATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Controller 1 (C-1)SAN TRACON Lead [link:www.taxiwaysigns.com]Taxiwaysigns.com Scenery Designer-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 40.41 Drivers)512MB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*3dMark2001SE Score: 11298

I agree. The general performance of the sim seems smoother. Haven't noticed any "stutters" so far.Ed Green, KCLTegreen1@carolina.rr.com

Guest jase439

I've noticed that in XP SP1 my 2D text appears "blurred" in much the same manner as it does when aniostropic filtering is enabled. Likewise, my 2D menu will not display in full screen 3D mode - I now must run in windowed mode to get a menu :(No workaround as of yet.J

Sp1 has been working well for me, except I have noticed some oddities in FS2002. One of them being if I have the menu shadows enabled in WinXP, when I am in Fs2002 my menus will be all black and have white text. Other than that and the jaggy text, I think Sp1 works really well for FS2002. Things seem much crisper and blurries are almost non-existent.

Guest jase439

Almost makes me wonder if the new D3D system DLL enables anisotropic filtering (if supported by the driver) by default. It would certainly explain the smudgey 2D (by 2D, I am referring to the "SHIFT+Z" text only - the panel bitmaps look fine) and the crisper textures (aniso. will give you both of these effects).According to KB article Q309638, nVidia users must now disable anti-aliasing entirely to see your menus in 3D mode - nice...thanks MS.FOLLOW UP: It does indeed seem to be the case. Toss AA out the window if you want to run in full screen mode as any 2D dialog or menu will no longer be visible. Yay. The problem appears to be unique to the GF4 series. Anyone running the 40.4x's having any luck with this (I'm using 30.82 WHQL)?UPDATE TO THE UPDATE: The 40.41's appear to address the problem (sorta). I have problems with flickering/flashing pixels along the top and left edges of the display. The stars also flicker excessively. *sigh* So far, I'm thumbs-down on SP1 if only for the crapped out D3D.

At least you all are able to run 'Service Pack 1' on your systems. When I install 'Service Pack 1' on my system, it crashes.As windows is about to start I get the blue screen of death with the usual garbage about software or hardware being installed incorrectly.I then have to go to safemode and revert my drive or uninstall 'Service Pack 1'.Ah well, guess I will be calling Microsoft Tech support this weekend to try to get help.

Robin

I'm putting in a new hard drive that I pick up today and I'm doing a clean install of WinXP and SP1. I'll let you guys know how it goes when I get done. So far so good. FS2002 is still a few hours away from being installed.

I made a slipstreamed disk and did a clean install of everything. Flashing textures are gone except for the flashing tarmac problem (Page Cline's fixes come in handy here :) ). Overall, I saw a small increase in FPS and a decrease in stutters. I'm also running a GeForce2 Pro card so the AA and menu issues don't affect me. Gary

I'm getting the same problem as you when FSAA is turned on. As soon as I turn it off, everything works ok.

Hi everyone.Just a thought on this problem.One of them being if I have the menu shadows enabled in WinXP, when I am in Fs2002 my menus will be all black and have white text.One thing to try maybe is to right click on the shortcut for Fs2002 on your desktop, the select Properties, then Compatibility and then check the box that reads disable visual themes. That will then disable the visual themes so they shouldnt affect the game.That might help. Just a thought. Thats just for people that have installed the SP1.

That happened to me as well. I found out I was not alone - there were several posts around the 'net with the same problem. The solution suggested was to go into SAFE mode and delete, yes delete, the graphics card.It worked! I deleted my GF4400 and rebooted and it went straight in. Re-installed the 30.82s and all is now fine. The only query I have is that DXDiag suggests that the DX version is still 8.1 whereas I was expecting 8.1b. Still, if you do get that hassle, that's what sorted it for me and others.Cheers,AndyEGTR

Guest WorkingStiff

Well, I installed the Windows XP Service Pack 1 and I can confirm that the DirectX version still reads 8.1. It is quite possible that the version is 8.1b and it's not explicitly stated since if you look at the DirectX files tab in DXDiag you will see files like ddraw.dll and d3d3.dll were changed and are now dated 8/29/02.I did find DirectX version 8.1b on Microsoft's website at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/downloads/drx81.asp but I wouldn't install it especially since the notes refer to the Service Pack 1. So it's likely the version was upgraded to 8.1b.

Guest bkhopp

Installed the update late yesterday and definitely have better performance in FS2002. Much smoother with frame rates set at the same value. Everything else seems faster too. No artifacts as far as I can tell.Cheers,Ben

Guest jase439

No go here. Removed the card from device manager and uninstalled the old drivers. Reinstalled the 30.82's and it's still having the same problems with FSAA. I think I'm going to bail on SP1. Next stop, SP2 ;-)It still amazes me how the left hand has no clue what the right hand is doing up at Redmond. How can they release an OS service release, geared for multimedia, when they KNOW full well it ***** up their own most popular entertainment software?? Lunacy.J