Sign in to follow this  

XP SR1--OT (but not really)

Has anybody installed Windows XP SR1? Any problems with it, particularly with FS2002? I've downloaded it, but I AM chicken to install it.Carl

I installed mine last Sunday. No problems whatsoever.The only difference I noticed is on the download applet, there seems to be an extra warning about downloading possible viruses etc...FS2002 runs just as before, no problems.When installing the update you have an option to save your present setup, in case you don't like SP1. I recommend that you use it, you can always remove it later(to free up disk space) if you find no problems with SP1.http://members.cox.net/pstepanoff/images/OK_c2.gifPete S

Guest TerryT

I actually noticed a decrease in performance after loading the SP1. My 3Dmark2001 test results went down from 10460 to 10075 and the video in FS2002 just seemed extreamly hazy in the distant where as before it was nice and sharp. Also the video did not seem as fluid even though the FPS were in the 30 35 range. I have a P-4 2.26 GHz and a GeForce4 4600 video card. I tried the 40.41 drivers but that only made things worse so went back to the certified 30.81s. This morning things got so bad that I had to take the computer to the shop and get Windows XP Home reloaded as the computer was in what I called it's "Ground Hog Day (movie) mode. It would try to reboot but never quite got there. I could not roll back to the previous load either in the safe mode. Luckly, the machine would still read CDs and was able to load my Windows XP Home over the top of the SP1 and it appears to be removed. I loaded back all of the former updates minus SP1 and the machine is now running pretty good. My last performance check under the 3D test was 10275 so there must still be some pieces of SP1 gummy up the system.Terry

Guest Murf

I took the plunge last night. No problems whatsoever.

Guest PhilC

A few observations...First I installed XP SP1 and the latest Beta of MS Media Player- I actually picked up a few fps and graphics in FS2002 look better. I have seen no flashing textures so far. This could be attributed to the included DirectX. I assume that it was updated. More interesting, the crackling that I had with my SB Live! card and Creative's latest drivers for XP are gone. This could be the Media Player, SP1 or a combination of both. However, I still was experiencing FS2002 crashes upon exiting MSFS. This had been happening regularily for a few weeks.Today I installed FSUIPC v 2.90. No more crashes on exit and I love the capability to start other programs along with FS2002 like FSMeteo.I would be interested in knowing if anyone else has the same experiences. It could be combinations of hardware and software on particular PCs so I wouldn't expect everyone to have the same results. So far I feel pretty lucky. I have a new ATI 9700 Pro on the way to replace my ATI Radeon 32 DDR. I will post my observations here once I get it going.

Been taking the plunge all day today, Wont install at all...........Keep getting an ERROR at the end of installation?I think i can live without it for now. Glad you guy's have had no problems.Ed;)

Guest WorkingStiff

Seriously, do you have a legal copy???

Guest jase439

Have you tried running System Restore? I backed out of my SP1 installation. DX8.1B appears to create more problems than it solves. It would be nice if one could omit "just that piece" and get the rest of the service pack updates.I'm back to waiting on SP2 - or perhaps a driver update from nVidia. IMO, when you apply an update, you shouldn't be required to start turning features off to get the same functionality you had before you updated. But maybe that's just me :)

Guest pumrigar

Seeing the same problems reported elsewhere but in addition FS2002 now pauses for 5 seconds about every 30 seconds. Proceeding to restore from backup.Pesi

Guest Don_Eliot

Am sorry to see some having problems.I was hoping everyone would see as nice an improvement as I have experienced. I think my very improved FS2K2 is because of the updated direct x. I have GF4 ti 4400 video card and I think 1b must have been made for it. I run 1600x1200 32 with antilaising off and AGP off in directx setup.A tremendous improvement is also in CFS2. Wish you were all getting good results. Don

Just a quick thumbs up on the service pack. I haven't noticed any degredation in smoothness and I can confirm that the new Direct X resolves the problem some were having with XP taking control of the monitor's refresh rate resulting in a flicker.Cheers,Fred>Has anybody installed Windows XP SR1? Any problems with it, >particularly with FS2002? I've downloaded it, but I AM >chicken to install it. >>Carl

Ouch! SP1 did some bad things. I get major pauses when I glance left/right, also when turning quickly. Switching panels (e.g. VFR-IFR in the Marchetti) takes forever. And don't even think about taking a screen shot! Also, the text (both the red text and the ATC text is all distorted now. On the plus side, it does seem quite smooth in between pauses.Argh. I'll be looking for tweaks for a couple of days, and then I guess I'll take the SP off. Yipes!Good luck,Greghttp://www3.sympatico.ca/gregory.moffatt/ERJ.jpg