Sign in to follow this  
tvale80

Air Canada Virtual Airlines

You might also want to be careful with the letters ACVA. Although we are now closed we still own the trademarks for it.www.flyacva.comThanks

Guest airfresno

>its closedI think what the good man at the closed ACVA is trying to say is that he has established ownership of the "ACVA" as a trademark for a virtual airline once in his possession. Even though it is closed the copyright remains in the hands fo the person who registered it. Some copyrights last 4 years, some 7, it depends on how it was registered and when. A trademark can last up to 13 years and is enforcible internationally once registered.A few years ago we had an all out war in the VA hobby over preceived trademark infringements, I think it's was lot of crap myself. Unless you actually filed legal papers establishing the copyright you cannot legally claim the copyright...UNLESS...unless you claim the Creators Copyright under the US Code (do a web search to see how to do this), just claiming it as copyrighted don't make it so, and I don't know if this is the case, I'm just saying.... Now, you can copyright the letters ACVA, but you cannot, and I say this expressly, you CANNOT copyright the phrase "Air Canada Virtual Airlines" because it contains a previously copyrighted term or phrase. No real world VA can copyright their name, not legally, all they can do is claim creators copyright for the initials.The point of this is...Why make a copy of a real world airline when you can create one of your own that can be just as good, that you won't have to share with anyone else who comes along. BTW, Air Canada Virtual (Airlines) is a great airline but it could be just as good as a made from scratch VA. Take this from someone who has been around VA's since the beginning.Peter McKay

Guest airfresno

>one of his partners demanded i close itWell, there ya go. Why not try this idea: Many smaller airlines use Canadian Airlines aircraft on a sort of Code Share agreement (Air Nova and Air Ontario for example). You can still use the Air Canada aircraft but become a more managable regional airline with your own name, like "Smith Air". You could still use Air Canada's route system on a smaller scale and expand as your pilot base grows. This will do away with the problems of stepping on an established VA's toes with names and such.If you need any help I would suggest doing two things, buy the North American Airlines Handbook that has all of the smaller airline idea's you could use, and consult the archives here at AVSIM and other VA listing sites to see who has what airline. Peter McKay..man, I should reopen my VA consulting website..

Guest jonf

Actually, the ACVA trademark is owned by ACVA ATLANTIC, INC who now does business as Healthy Buildings International. They were part of a major tobacco scam in the early to mid-90's. If anyone wants to use ACVA for their airline name then I highly doubt that anyone will do anything about it.