Sign in to follow this  
Guest sgreenwood

Question regarding Emma Field, GeoRender1 and FsGenesis

I have recently purchased Emma Field and I must say it is a very nice piece of work. For that reason, I am considering purchasing GeoRender1. I have also recently become interested in some terrain meshes from FsGenesis and am considering purchasing the West coast terrain mesh.For you guys that may have these addons could you tell me if I installed the West Coast terrain mesh from FsGenesis, would it affect in any way the work that has been done by Lago at Emma Field and with GeoRender1?ThanksJay

Guest Eagle92395

I have no idea about the meshes, but please post again if you get Georender. I too bought Emma Field about 1 week ago and I LOVE it. Would like some more high detail areas.

Guest PhilC

I don't have the FSGenesis West Coast mesh but I do use their base mesh and have no problems with Emma Field.As far a Georender1 goes, Flying M is OK but Ranger Creek's runway area is elevated above the surrounding landscape. Don't know if it is supposed to be that way. It is still flyable.And Eagle, as far as scenery is concerned I believe that Emma and Georender1 are both great. Flying M was worth the purchase of Georender alone. Approaching that tight airstrip with the trees and powerlines actually takes my breath away. It's a blast and beautiful. Lago has done an excellent job of reproducing the strip and surrounding area.I wish I had some screen shots but, meantime, you can check out this great site about the real Flying M Ranch. The aerial shot from the downwind leg (at the top of the page) looks almost identical to Lago's scenery.http://www.omen.com/f/flyingm.html

I have not tried that combination, but if the Genesis mesh is correct there should be no problem. The mesh on GeoRender is much denser because it only covers a very small area but the transition should be fine.If not, let us know so we can check it out.Mathijs KokLAGO

Guest Eagle92395

Thanks Phil! I think I'll buy it today then :)

Guest Stardog

I have Emma Field, Georender1 and FSGenesis US and Alaska Mesh and have no problems at all with any of it together.Probably 3 of the best purchases I have made for FS.

Guest sgreenwood

Hello Jay,I have just uploaded 30 mesh for the Emma Field-Olympic National Park area, from my own West Coast CD. This data should be available shortly in the File Library.Give it a try, and let us know how well it works with Emma Field.Stevewww.fs-traveler.com

Guest PhilC

Steve,It seems that your mesh did interfere with Emma's default a little.Even though overall everything looked much better, it changes the tiered waterfall where the second one runs uphill and a few of the roads disappear into deep crevices.Nothing major but enough to make me remove it for now.

Guest sgreenwood

Thanks Phil.This is disappointing, given LAGO's claim that "our mesh for this area is much denser than any add-on at this moment". (Emma Field User Manual, version 1.00) Perhaps Mathijs can provide us with the source data resolution and LOD used for the Emma Field area so we can try to work around the problem, at least this time.Steve

Steve,I installed your mesh for the Emma Field-Olympic National Park area and I think it is superb. I don't see the waterfall going uphill. I have not found any roads going into deep crevices. I am not disputing Phils claims, I just don't see what he is speaking of.The extra detail was more than I expected. I will be purchasing your full 6 CD set when I get some extra cash.Nice job.Jay

Guest PhilC

Well, I guess it could be a combination of things, for instance, I am also using FSGenesis' USA & Alaska base terrain mesh. I'll try to get some screenshots of what I am seeing. It's like the first waterfall pours into a hole, then there's a wall at the same elevation that the second waterfall runs over.Anybody else seen this?Overall, the mesh is superb.

Guest PhilC

OK. Here are a few screenshots. Read the captions for an explanation.#1 - The twin waterfalls as the normally appear to me at Emma:http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3d7ffa6f623c5ccb.jpg#2 - As they appear with the West Coast mesh. You can see the 'wall' that I was talking about.http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3d7ffade63120b23.jpg#3 - A view with my normal mesh (FSGenesis base):http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3d7ffaf8633fb7c0.jpg#4 - and with the West Coast mesh. A nice improvement.http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3d7ffaff6354b7c0.jpg

Phil,It seems we may not be on the same page here. It is my understanding that Steve is not with FS Genesis. He has his own set of meshes that he created separately from FS Genesis. His site is http://www.fs-traveler.com/ . He responded to my question about Fs Genesis by throwing in a shameless plug for his own creation. Which was ok by me. I just like to accuse people of making shameless plugs. Anyway, his mesh seems to be working fine along with Emma field. As I understand it this "Emma Field-Olympic National Park area" is merely a small appetizer to CD #6 of his series. I am guessing that this mesh that he is allowing us to sample is a part of the whole CD which covers his version of the West Coast.What I am gathering from your comments is that you are showing screenshots of the Emma Field Area with FSGenesis' West Coast mesh and it is causing problems by making the waterfall go uphill. Steve's FS-traveler mesh did not do that to me so if I am correct in my long-winded assumptions here then I will be purchasing FS-Travelers meshes instead of FSGenesis'.After I installed his mesh by using the "preferred installation procedure", I took a long ride around in the Bell and could not find one problem with it. I changed my TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL to equal 21 instead of 19 just as he suggested and I have to say it is very nice.Keep in mind here, I have never installed a terrain mesh before. I have been tinkering with Flight Sim since the old Apple IIe days but never felt like messing with any of the terrain until now. That is why I asked the question in the first place as I had not delved into it at all and wanted some comments on mainly compatibility between LAGO's scenery addons and FSGenesis' meshes.Whew...Does any of this make since? I sure lost myself here. Anyway, thanks guys for all your input. I appreciate it very much.I have included three pictures to show what I have described above with the waterfall and also the difference from default to 38m. The first one is the waterfall with FS-traveler's. Notice there is no wall. So Steve, don't be disappointed, it looks ok. The second picture is Flight sims default and the third is the same shot with FS-traveler's mesh. What a difference. There is a lot more to show off in that mesh there guys. So if you had any doubts before, just try it out.Jay

Guest PhilC

Yeah, it was just a misunderstanding.I know that Steve is not with FSGenesis. What I meant by my comments is that I have had the FSGenesis Base Terrain Mesh installed for some time and Emma has looked just fine. When I installed Steve's mesh over it I got the waterfall wall. Therefore, I think that it may be some combination of the two meshes that created the wall effect. Since your's looks just fine I do not feel that it is Steve's mesh alone but a combo of the two... if that is possible.If I can track down which FSGenesis mesh file covers this area I may try removing it and then reinstall Steve's and see what happens.Thanks for your comments and the screenshots.

Guest sgreenwood

Hi Jay,Several thanks are in order: for the clarification, for the effort you put into it, and for reading the information included with the mesh!Sorry about the "shameless plug" aspect of the post, but I am glad you are enjoying the scenery. Cheers, Steve