Sign in to follow this  

XP SP1

I took my experiance as a omen and gave up trying to install it.Ed

Guest Joshieca

Well you people who can't get SP1 up and running better think twice about trying it again. As MS keeps on trying to thwart software pirates, after Oct 1st you can't install any WIN XP "Hot Fixes" without having SP1 installed.

BumpLooks like installing SP1 is effectively mandatory. Like others, I've been reading the results of others. Certainly it seems like about 50% of users are having problems. This is too high for comfort, but if the above is true, we may not have much choice.I guess I'll try it myself and cross my fingers.

There is another way to fix XP other than the "Service Pack 1".... I got this from the "Screensavers" program on Tech TV... 1 start a file seach in Windows XP 2 search for a file named "uplddrvinfo.htm" 3 delete or rename this fileYou can get this fix at www.techtv.com/screensavers/I don't have XP so I can't tell you if this works or not... These people say it does, But you are on your own, I can't take any liability if things go wrong.... I would rename the file so you may go back and change it if it does not work for you... and I would also go to Screensavers site first and read about it.... But the above is about all it has on this fix... Look for Service Pack 1 on the site and it is on that page at the bottom... I hope this helps and does no harm... Look at Monday, Sept 9th show notes... As someone has pointed out this is not the service pack but if you can't get the service pack or it don't work for you, this may help acording to the shows hosts.... I only suggest you look at it and decide for yourself...Just trying to help... That's all I can say about it... Ron Mashburn

Guest Joshieca

>There is another way to fix XP other than the "Service Pack >1".... I got this from the "Screensavers" program on Tech >TV... >> 1 start a file seach in Windows XP > 2 search for a file named "uplddrvinfo.htm" > 3 delete or rename this file >That "fix" is not a full SP1 install. All it does is change the on-line help files so that a website can't access your Help Center files. I doesn't take the place of SP1. SP1 will still need to be installed between now and OCT 1. From what I here after OCT 1 any "Hot Fix's" will check to see if SP1 is installed and if not it will recommend that you update your XP to SP1 and then quit out of the installer.MS is doing this to help them stop use of pirated registration numbers...or so they think it will help.

Guest Edam

All of this is troublesome. I certainly wouldn't install SP1 after reading about all the problems that people are having, and now Microsoft wants to make a buggy Service Pack mandatory? I'm not a Microsoft basher by any means, but this stinks. If anything, actions like this will force more people to turn to less than legal means to keep their operating systems running the way they are, problem free, without SP1. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it..." but being *forced* to break it? Let's hope that something changes before Oct. 1st.

Guest jase439

Maybe they will, maybe they won't. *shrug* Sooner or later they'll publish a fix for the fix and this will all be but a happy memory. In the meantime, I'm perfectly content to stick with the retail release and its handful of hotfixes - it's still the most robust fully-featured OS to come out of Redmond - even out of the box.Windows 2000 users - pay heed. SP3 brings many of the same curses on to FS as XP SP1.J

Yeah! SP1 seems buggy in my system. I can handle my minimize/maximize/close buttons occasionally turning into an area that looks like TV static, but I can't stand 2 second pauses when I look to the left or right, or change the panel, or take a screenshot, or turn too fast. . .I guess this is probably up among the Biggest Ever Service Packs. It's by the biggest software company in the world, it's pretty critical that it have a fairly high success rate (imagine if every company that runs XP loaded on a SP that crashed their network one morning,) and it's got MSFS2002 messed up my mainstream computer. It's almost funny. Choosing between FS and missing out on security hotfixes, I'll opt for FS for now and uninstall the patch, unless I can fix the SP.So does anybody know of any tweaks or settings that might help? I need to break my copy.All the best,Greghttp://www3.sympatico.ca/gregory.moffatt/ERJ.jpg

Guest Air1

Only problem I had with service pack 1 was the lose of my Saitek drivers for my Cyborg 3D Gold Joy stick. Could not find the CD so downloaded from Internet and all is well. I do notice a slight improvement in the overall smoothness of the sim.Steve

I'm wondering what settings you might have different from me, unless a difference in hardware is the cause.I have a GF4-Ti4200 and an Athlon XP processor. I disabled AGP texturing in DXDiag and my AGP aperture in the BIOS is 16 (I think). I run FS2002 in full screen mode at 1024x768x32 with most of the sliders at or near the max. All the display things (like MIP mapping and T&L are enabled. I think RivaTuner sets the antialiasing to Quincux or whatever it's called.Don't know what else might be relevant...Greghttp://www3.sympatico.ca/gregory.moffatt/ERJ.jpg

Now I am bummed!!! I was excited about the service pack, but after reading all the problems, opted not to install it right away as I DO NOT want to turn off AA, but it seems I have no choice now. If it isn't one thing it's another. I can only hope that all works after I install it!Thanks M$!Michael

Best, Michael

KDFW

I don't see what the problem is for the people who haven't installed the SP1, but are afraid because someone else had problems. SP1 offers an uninstall function that will remove SP1 and restore your configuration right back to where it was, in case it won't work. The most you will lose is some time.SP1 worked great for me and lot of other people. At least I know I have all of the latest fixes and safety fixes installed, and will continue to get them as they are released!MSI KT3 UltraAMD XP2200+512meg DDR 2100 RAMVisiontek GeForce 3 VideoWindows XP Home Editionhttp://members.cox.net/pstepanoff/images/OK_c2.gifPete S