Sign in to follow this  

XP SP1

SP1 installed OK -- slow installation but successfull.Kerke

Guest ScottPilot

I have ordered the Win XP SP1 on CD (The download for my system is around 50MB, which means many hours since I am using dialup.) When I get it, I will give it a try since it sounds like there is a good un-install feature, just in case it screws things up!Scott :-)

Microsoft can keep sp1 and stick it where the sun does not shine as far as I am conserned. Not even 3hours on the phone with Microsoft tech support could the patch be installed. To make matters worst after all the the trial and errors they put me through windows system restore and uninstall failed to work so I was instructed by the 'gurus at Redmond' to reinstall XP and this would over write the garbage that sp1 left on my system. Well 3 installs later I have no sound and only half the features of Norton System works are funcional.This is after spending 5:30pm to 9:45pm on the phone with another tech support personel going through the windows xp installation with me. By all indications my system is now f***** and I am on my own now.Thank you Microsoft.

Robin

I will try this again... There is a fix that will plug the security hole in XP... I have posted this once and it was shot down.... THIS IS NOT A SERVICE PACK.... But it will plug the security hole in XP...Steve Gibson of Gibson Reseach Corp has writen a small program to do what I posted earlier in this thread.... IF you don't who Steve Gibson is, He and his corp are very well known in the world of computer security... Again go to his Corp. web site and decide for youself if you want to use it. I am only passing along this info to help and again I hope no harm... His site address is "www.grc.com" You have to go to a second page to get the program, I think that page is called XPdite or something like that... Again This is not a service pack, but a way to protect your system until you get a service pack... A 50 meg download is not feasable for someone on a dail up so IF YOU trust this YOU may choose to use it until you can get a service pack... Again Steve and his corp are well known in the world of computer security as was the source I used yesterday in this thread... Again I hope this helps But IF YOU have doubts don't use it!!! I only want to pass along info that might help whoever CHOOSE to use it... I am not and do not pretend to be any sort of computer guru, but I am sure of my sources... It is again YOUR CHOICE!!! I do not use XP and can not try it out...Ron Mashburn

Guest jase439

> ...I have posted this once and it was shot downCould it be that your post reads like a bad late night infomercial?

Well, It was dismissed so quickly the first time I felt it neccessary to write it as such... I'm sorry you feel this way but I felt it necessary to make it as clear as possible... This is a real fix even if used as a temp until a service pack is available to all... I just wanted to justify my source so it might not be dismissed so quickly.. It got long, maybe to long, but that was my reason. Ron

You'll also lose about a Gigabyte in backup space for the restore point...but well worth it. I wound up using it. No SP1 for me thank you. Until it works with FS2002, I dont need no stinkin updates!That goes for the windows update function as well. Figure it will take a month or so at least for there to be enough problems for either MS or Nvidia to fix the driver issues.Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Hi Pete and Greg,Where do you see thus SP1 un-install option? I recall that the SP1 install made a restore point in the early stages, is this what you are referring to?Thanks,Bruce.