Sign in to follow this  
BobK

Mallard Conversion.. .. .. ..

.. .. .. for those that are interested, after a long night slaving over GMAX and swearing at the strange things that it does, the shape of the PT6 engine is slowly starting to take shape. Now if the designers had made it in a more "boxy" manner it would make my life much easier. In case you cannot guess from the pic there are a few hundred more polygon's in the Turbine engine than the original piston...Still a way to go before the "MODEL" is ready for painting - but at least it is starting to take shape. Guess that I had better get the "engineers" to swap the starboard engine before a test flight eh?

Your mallard brings back fond memories. They flew out of my hometown (Charlotte Amalie harbor - St. Thomas, VI) several times a day. We have a busy waterfront and it was often fun to see the pilots maneuver through boats and go full throttle for takeoff. Also, if you were in the right place during a takeoff you would get a spray of saltwater in the face. Fun for a kid. Landing was even more of a thrill. It was always interesting to see some nut in a motor boat challenge a mallard. In all my years watching the mallards (which was on a near daily basis) I only saw two aborts. I also remember when the fleet started converting to the turboprops. Quite a difference in sound and performance. I have to admit while the old props held a place in my heart, the turboprops were exciting to watch. I also love the sound of turboprops. Thanks for a nice ac and the memories.--T

Glad you like it - must admit that I would love to see them in real life, hopefully I will get the chance one day. There should be some improvements coming for the Mallard once the Turbine version is completed - all depends on time of course !!

Heya gazzareth!! It's George, your turbo Mallard's #1 fan *wink*. I'm so excited to see that progress!!! Keep it up! And if you're looking for a great Mallard-viewing experience, come down to Nassau in the Bahamas someday...Chalk's has a regular schedule from sunrise to sunset...and it seems that they have increased frequency. :) Grea photo ops from a local restaurant across the harbour (called Crocodiles). :) Cheers!George

Gazzereth,You have to make a date to see one. I'm sure George will agree that they are fun to see. In the day, the port they flew out of had an observation deck that was not 50ft from the pad the mallards parked at. Between flights the pilots would come on deck and just chat with people. They were the friendliest bunch. In fact, one pilot walked us through the engine start procedure, which is quite interesting. BTW, those pistons are sweet when they start. The same port also served as a service base, so we say many a mallard being serviced, refuelled, etc. I think the salt-water may have made servicing them a regular job. I wanted a summer job there but I was too young back then. Still, I enjoyed my plane spotting days.--TAgain, looking good, and looking forward to the improvements.

Talon, I've been looking for pictures of V.I. Seaplane Shuttle for the repainters out there, but to no avail. :-( I used to have a book called "Caribbean Props" that had a showcase on them, it seemed. It would be nice to see the Mallards in the Seaplane Shuttle's colours as well as Chalk's. Cheers!George

Guest Reddog

Mighty mighty nice Gary!! looking forward to this one as much as I did for the original. Keep us all posted. I have a few pics of TCA's Mallards if you want them, there the piston engine versions but would asume the paint schemes would be the same.http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data/reddog/631785.jpgSceenshots and Pics athttp://comunity.webshots.com/user/reddog18951USMC Retired

I see that the engine is already the right color :) Glad to see some examples of planes from the world's oldest airline. :)

BobK

Hi Bob,The plan is currently to complete the Chalks version - hopefully the first beta may be done shortly after the model (although that will be with the King Air Panel), and then work on the panel (hopefully with a completely new bmp).After that I will probably "open up" the cockpit which should improve the model somewhat and then produce a "Paspaley Pearls" version since I am getting some fantastic info & pics from their pilots. The engine cowling on their version (still using the PT6 engines) is quite different to the Chalks version...