Sign in to follow this  
MKaprocki

From 5fps to 20fps+!!!

hi guyswell you know a few posts below i was complaining about my poor performance with FS2002 has i could only get 5 fps and alot of stuttering,well i found the cultprit.it was i needed to upgrade the VIA drivers for my Asus mobo,so that could have been the cause for the random rebooting and hang when loading windows 98SEanyway just to help someone else hereif you are experiencing frame rate problems try upgrading your VIA drivers,ok off to bed!good night !

Hi Checkpoint,I have the same problem as you, I'm on Win98SE too and I'm using VIA AC97. Where can I upgrade?Thanks!alvin

Guest PhilC

I have no idea what chipset I may have. Is there a utility or some other way to find out short of opening the PC?

check your mainboard manual or the manufacturer website. Often it's also visible when booting, but only for a second or so.

Open Device Manager (right-click My Computer, select Properties, new window opens "System Properties", select Device Manager Tab. Now look down the list to the Hard Disk Controller, click the plus next to that, should have three sub-items appear. One should say "primary", one should say "secondary", and one will say something else. If the something else is "Via Bus Master PCI IDE Controller" or something like, you've got a VIA. Anything else will give a clear clue to what it is.Win98 does recognize and have a driver for the VIA chipset, so if you have one, odds are it will say. However, if you have a corrupted Win installation, it might not. Therein lies a whole can of worms which will probably require professional help -- or your Restore CD. You can recognize this problem if you see the errmsg, "The registry corrupt problem! Please reboot!" while installing the 4in1. The fact that Win98 has recognized your chipset doesn't mean you don't need the VIA 4in1 driver pack. Win knows HDD controller only, but you also need AGP miniport, ACPI controller, etc., etc. --BeachComer Stephen "Beach" Comer Real World Pile-it Commercial ASMEL, Instrument Airplane 4500 TT, 2500 BE20 & BE10

via 4n1 drivers a very important to update because this is where you have your AGP driver.If you do not install this you will have AGP 1X only.I always update my 4 n 1 drivers and my msi bios on a regular basis.Since you have a ASUS mobo you have a utlity that will flash your bios for you .I highly recommend a bios update.This bios updater will download the correct bios for you and flash it.when you do this make sure that NO ANTI virus programs are running.In fact i go a step futher and turn off everything i can.Flashing a bios will not give you more fps of course but it will give you better system stablity and performance.Richard Dillon KPDKSr First Officer www.jetstarairlines.com"Bill Grabowski's"ERJ-145 panel Beta TeamMD-11 panel Beta Team____________________________"Lets Roll" 9/11 Specs AMD 1600 XP MSI KT 266t pro2 512MB DDR 2100GF3 ti 200 64MB SBliveCh Products Yoke and Pedals(usb)Windows 2000 Serivce Pack 3

Get WCPUID from http://www.h-oda.com/It will tell you what chipset you have. Note that it can't tell the difference between the Via KT133, KT266, and KT333. However, it's not really important as they are all Via chipsets.Matt

yep for anyone with VIA mobos please upgrade your VIA drivers, i looked here and looked there and tweaked this and tweaked that,but by chance i accidently stumpled across some VIA drivers, last night, and i installed them and Bingo!now everything is back to good,so guys update your via mobo drivers - it does help!:-wave

Hi everyone thanks for the reply. I've got the chipsets you mentioned but any idea of the link to donwload the 4 in 1? I can't find it on that website. Pardon me and thanks again!