Sign in to follow this  

Please Help - Missing Map View Facility Information

Map View performs as it should until I click on any airport or navaid to get the applicable facility information. All I get is the title of airport or navaid. Can anyone please identify the file/files which apply to this feature of FS2002? Chuck(CYOW)

Once you get the box with the name, double click it.Hope this helps,-- Tom GibsonCalifornia Classic Propliners: http://www.calclassic.com/Cal Classic Alco Page: http://www.calclassic.com/alco/Freeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.com/ San Diego Model RR Museum: http://www.sdmodelrailroadm.com/Drop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

To bump or not to bump? It seems that either way gets someone's attention. Thanks for your reply to the first post. My problem is now solved, but I had to remove the new Windows XP Service Pack 1.Chuck(CYOW)

Came here looking for help on same problem. I have also lost facility info. I also just installed Windows XP service pack. What method did you use for uninstall? Restore point or Programs Uninstall?

I used the program uninstall, but it proved to be very ineffective. When my system re-booted, it failed repeatedly. I finally was forced to re-install XP and all related system software. Check your options before you act.Chuck(CYOW)

CNicholson, Don't know if you are still following this post. I have same problem with Map View. At this point I've taken no action. I'd rather find a way to live without Map View facilities (UGH!) than run the risk of having to reinstall FS2k2 AND Windows XP and all programs. I'm wondering what similarities our two systems have. Mine is Dell 8200 1.8 Gig, 256 ram. Do you also have trouble running FS in XP mode? Since I have added many gauges many months ago my sytem would crash unless I ran in Windows98 mode. Wonder why some people have no problem with SP uninstall and others have nightmare. Paul

Sorry for the delay. My system is home assembled. It is an Intel P4 2.26 Gig, 512K 533FSB with an ASUS Socket478 motherboard with Intel 850E Chipset. It also has 512MB RIMM Ram and a Visiontek GeForce 4 128MB TI4400 Video Card. I am using Windows XP Pro and when I downloaded SP1 I took the option to save my current settings just in case I had problems. Everything went smoothly until I found the Map View problem. Unfortunately, the return to my original settings failed after the uninstall of SP1 and my system would not re-boot even in Safe Mode. Re-installing XP and whatever software as required to get back in operation took time but FS2002 now functions with Map View! Except for the Map View problem with SP1, I have had no problems running FS2K2 with XP and most display sliders are at their max. Obviously others have not had difficulty uninstalling SP1 so you have a decision to make. Good luck.Chuck(CYOW)

Chuck, So did you also have to re-install FS2002? I assume yes. How about SP1? What will you do about SP1? I too have most sliders maxed. However I do have to run in Windows98 compatibility but that doesn't seem to hurt performance. I think my problem there is some gauges in panels. The problem started with AA727-200 advanced which has fuel gauges that XP on my system doesn't like. A few other panels have same effect. I have read of others with similar problem. This map view thing is a pisser though. I'm almost tempted to get along without it but that sucks too. Over on Flightsim board person there says that re-install of FS2002 can be done by removing FS2002.exe from folder and then Installing from disc #1. That way all addon planes will remain and only changes to default planes would need back-ups to be pasted back in. Not sure yet about other things like AFCAD airports, Flightplan...etc. I was hoping I could just locate the missing file(?) for facility info and plug it back in. Well, thanks for getting back to me. Paul

Funny you should ask. I didn't re-install FS2002 but I had to re-install certain aircraft, scenery and utilities which had registry or .dll files which were lost in the XP re-installation. A full re-installation of FS2002 may still be required but everything seems to be working at the moment. MS Train Simulator however did require re-installation. I have a full range of freeware and commercial aircraft and utilities but have not experienced any requirement to revert to Windows 98 compatibility. I can't comment on the suggested method of re-installing FS2K2 but if you decide to do it and you have a CDRW capability, I would certainly back-up any files/folders you consider important. Chuck(CYOW)

Chuck, That is interesting. So if the installation of XP can cause the deletion of certain files from FS2002 then it wouldn't be a leap to surmise that XP Service Pack From Hell might also have deleted a dll or file accounting for our missing Map View facilities. My guess is it was in those scenery or utility files you mentioned. How did it indicate to you which files were missing so you knew which ones to re-install. If I knew I would re-install those or the folders involved off the CD disk. Paul

There is no magic solution. I only found out through trial and error. I started FS2K2 and the missing scenery window would identify the scenery files which had to be corrected. The others only came to light as I attempted to load or fly certain aircraft. Many of the affected files were commercial add-ons so they would not be available from the FS2K2 CD's.Chuck(CYOW)

A follow-up point is that the missing .dll files must have been deleted with the SP1 removal and not replaced by the XP re-installation. They were only replaced by re-installing the applicable scenery, aircraft and utility software. What SP1 did to foul up the FS2K2 Map View files is a mystery to me, but that's not surprising considering my knowledge of software. Chuck(CYOW)