Sign in to follow this  
brucek

Overseas Flights

Guest BMarcoux

Being that I normally just fly flights within a few hundred miles I've been toying with the idea of getting PSS 747 for some long flights. Just wondering what all you "long Haul" simmers do on these 7-8 hr flights. Do you use time compression, or just go watch tv or what? Thanks

FS2002 has the benefit of being able to continue running while not in focus, so you can minimze the application and so something else while the flight progresses. Of course, ATC will get mad at you and cancel your flight plan :) The work-around here is to wait until you get a hand-off, then acknowledge the handoff with the old controller, but not go any further, and the hand-off will be related to whatever airspace you happen to be in when you return to FS.For a very long flight, if using something with an FMS (like PIC, PSS 747/777/A320, or Dreamfleet B737), you can program a hold close to the TOD. The FMS will give you the expected time or arrival at the hold, and the expected fuel. You can reset the time and fuel when you come back to FS, after doing the hold many times. Just use infinite fuel, or you'll run out of fuel in the hold.If using the Flight1 C-421, it has a feature that will pause the sim when you get to the next waypoint in a flight plan (this is an option).Just some ideas....Bruce.

do whatever I have to do around the house. Cleaning, eating, ironing clothes, etc.I don't use timecompression, unless something comes up during the flight so I will have to leave before it's over (and then I usually just pause it).

usually, i sleep. i do most of my overseas flights overnight. i turn controls over to the a/p, make sure "pause on task" is on, and set some small application to run about 1/2 hour before scheduled arrival. so whether i'm there or not, i get to fly the last 1/2 hour of my flight.chris

I guess my question is: what do you do *before* the flight? How many simmers do the in-depth planning that goes into a real flight? Myself, I use a copy of along with the NAR zipfile on the site, and download the latest [link:www.notams.jcs.mil|NATS or PACOTS.] in order to get the most accurate routes possible. Also of tremendous assistance is [link:www.ais.uk.org]the UK AIS website. as it lists the Concorde tracks. I've, to date, not found a free website for AIS information for many other nations - just UK, Sweden, Norway, and the many good websites that have US AIS data. I also will spend the time to determine the optimum flight levels - including step climb and descent levels.Does this seem like overkill?

When ATC hands me off to the next sector, I acknowledge signoff, but never tune in the next sector. Then I'll usually read a book or listen to music. Maybe even do the dishes if that's more urgent. Most likely the flight will run at 4x, subject to BA Virtual rules (the flight must be over 4 hours and over water). After I finish a CD or a few chapters of Harry Potter, I know it's time to contact the nearest center and start descending into JFK. :)

Hi Chris,Do you just use scheduler to start the app? I never thought of that, a great idea.Bruce.

yep.......thats exactly what i do. i use FSNavigator to estimate my time of arrival, then i set up (in my case) minesweeper to fire off about 1/2 hour before arrival time.make sure your pause on task is on!! then you can bring her in yourself...glad i could help!chris

Hi MA717,Good attempt. But I think it contribute to just one aspect of reality in the Sim. Taking an example for optimum flight level, I wonder if you can simulate accurate gross weight of your airplane (it can be by editing aircraft.cfg file though). How do you determin V1, VR, based on wind, tempreture, weight ? How do you capture real weather that may affect to your route planning ? I just felt simulating a real route with empty passenger aircraft which airborn with half power throttle would not be realistic after all.I personally have a good access to a data of route and track. But I realized that simulating a route of a real flight is just one of parts and that would be done fairly well by FS default flight planner or some addon application like FSNav. Hence, I would rather plan and fly with on-hand resources than doing extensive search for one side of reality. But I second you when step climb comes in. flight level change enroute under interaction with ATC is the most deserved future in next release of MSFS.Have a good flight.Yuki

The flight computer will calculate most of that stuff for you, and has a load editor to set passengers and cargo.I've only recently bought it myself, plus gotten some transatlantic planning charts (already had charts for Europe and most of the US) for flightplanning purposes.

I'm going to print that last message to keep it :) Good one (and very true), Mark! My wife's going to love this!Bruce.