Sign in to follow this  

What is this part on the tail? (pic)

HiI was looking at this pic on a.net and I cannot figure out what a ceratin part of the tail is for. Here is a pic.I know that:The dark blue part is the non-moving tail surface (the name escapes me right now)The purple part is the aileronThe light blue part is the Trim TabI don't know what the red part is for. It appears to be hinged so that it moves...or is ti just part of the aileron....anyone know what it can be? I also included the original picture so you can see it properly without my scribbling.Take careMikehttp://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...78a626932b4.jpghttp://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...79162828948.jpg

Guest SoarPics

Hi Mike,Your photo is of the horizontal tail.The part you outlined in blue is the horizontal stabilizer.The part you outlined in purple is the elevator (including the counterbalance weight projecting forward at the tip).The part you outlined in red is indeed the pitch trim tab.Hope this helps,

Guest KenG

And the light blue part that you thought was the trim tab aapears to be just part of the elevator. It is does not move independent of the rest of the elevator. The rivets may have confused you making you think it was a different part of the elevator.

In technical terms, the whole structure is known as the "Trailing Edge" of the wing structure.Sincerely,Dennis D. Mullert

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

System Specs: Motherboard:  Gygabyte Aorus Z390 Master.  CPU: Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900kf Eight-Core 3.6Mhz overclocked to 5Mhz.  Memory:  64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3200MHZ RGB.  GPU: 11GB GeForce RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid.  Monitor: Viotek 34" curved GNV34DBE.  Power Supply: 1000 Watt Power supply. HD 1: 1TB Samsung 9780 EVO Plus NVMe SSD.  HD 2: 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD

Flight Sim Hardware:  Joystick: Thrustmaster T16000M.  Rudder Pedals: Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Pedals.  Yoke: Honeycomb Alpha.  Throttles: Honeycomb Bravo.

Guest SoarPics

"In technical terms, the whole structure is known as the "Trailing Edge" of the wing structure."Uh, sorry Dennis, but the whole structure is referred to as the "Horizontal Tail". A "Trailing Edge" is present on all flying structures of an airplane, including the wing, elevator (or in some cases the stabilator, which is a full flying one piece horizontal tail), and the rudder. On the wing and elevator the trailing edge is the point where the top and bottom surfaces come together at the REAR of the structure. On the rudder the trailing edge is the point where the right and left surfaces come together at the REAR of the structure.Regards,

Any possibility anyone make this plane in GMAX for FS2002 ??I

JLopez, Why do you think I was asking about the parts? ;) Thanks for the info everybody. I thought the light blue part was the trim, so I guess it's not a separate part then, just part of the elevator.Take careMike

And the propeller too.Looking at the pics I wondered about something: has there ever been an horizontal tail with flaps???

>Uh, sorry Dennis, but the whole structure is referred to as >the "Horizontal Tail". I'd be more inclined to call it the horizontal stabilizer, elevator with trim tab and counter-weight......... which is all part of the empennage (horizontal and vertical tail structures).L.Adamson

Mike,Not sure what a 'booster tab' is unless he's referring to an anti-servo tab. An anti-servo tab looks like a trim tab on a stabilator (described above). A stabilator typically exhibits neutral stability in that it tends to stay in a commanded pitch position without resisting the movement. This is not a good thing for general aviation aircraft - so a tab is attached and linked in a fashion that causes a counter-movement. For example, when the stabilator moves up, the anti-servo tab moves up as well, effectively trying to force the stabilator back down - and the same applies in the opposite direction. This also, and very importantly, provides the pilot with feedback, or a 'feel' for pitch control. This is not the case, however with your picture above. What you see is likely just a manual trim tab.Leon

A booster (or servo) tab looks like a trim tab but serves a different purpose. Moving the control surfaces on a large/heavy aircraft can take a lot of physical strength. To assist the pilot the booster tab moves in the opposite direction of the elevator and alleviates the excessive pressure. It does this using the same aerodynamic principals you see in a trim tab. You can find booster tabs on Ailerons too. Like Leon pointed out, you can also find anti-servo tabs, which dampen the motion of the control surface by moving in the same direction. Check out a Piper Cherokee or Warrior to see an anti-servo tab.DannyCYVR

Guest SoarPics

"I'd be more inclined to call it the horizontal stabilizer, elevator with trim tab and counter-weight......... which is all part of the empennage (horizontal and vertical tail structures).L.Adamson"Or you could have read message #1 to the original post.