Sign in to follow this  

What is this part on the tail? (pic)

WOW! YOu guys have overwhelmed me... :-lolWhich one is the trim? THe one outlined in red or in light blue? Take careMike

Okay ---- good enough! I did read it originally, but must have got side tracked farther down the line.L.Adamson

Guest P3_Super_Bee

My 2 cents:dark blue : Horizontal Stabpink : Elevatorlight blue: elevator trim tabred : force link tabNow for the force link tab: The force link tabs are attached to the elevators inboard of the trim tab tabs along same hinge line, their trailing edge extending farther aft that the elevator trim tab trailing edge. These tabs are of a spring loaded type, which assist in trimming and autocentering the elevators. They are mechanically interconnected with the trim tabs by programming linkages and spring cartridges, which determine the magnitude and the direction of their authority as a function of the trim tab.The primary purpose of the force link tab is to improve the static longitudinal, stick free stability. The force link tabs also provide additional trim effectiveness at low speed and with a forward CG.Though the above is the desreption from the P-3 manual It does match. Their trainling edge is further aft than the trim tab, they are inboard of the trim tab. If in fact the part in light blue is the trim tab. It is kinda hard to tell from the picture, and it could be just part of the elevator and the part in the red is the trim tab. In any case just my 2 cents.:-outtahttp://publish.hometown.aol.com/p3superb/images/675-2fs.jpg

Thank you JeffLots of ifferent answers I see so I am confused. :-lolI will e-mail the Air Tractor company and ask them as well, maybe they can tell me. I have to find out if he light blue is part of elevator or a trim tab.Take careMike

OK..I e-mailed one of the engineers of the plane and he told me that the red part is the trim tab and the light blue part is nothing..just part of the elevator. So now I can carry on with my work.Thanks for all those who replied.Mike