Sign in to follow this  

Stuttering audio when flying through clouds

I recently reinstalled FS2002 because I had installed so many planes and panels that the FS2002 directoy was becoming too big.Anyway, after reinstalling it, I now have this annoying problem. When I fly through clouds, the sound crackles, and ATC sounds distorted. It only seems to happen when flying through clouds, when the clouds are far a way or there are only some small clouds visible, there are no problems. It's really annoying when you're trying to hear what ATC is saying to you but you can't hear anything because of the distorted audio.My system is:AthlonXP 1900+, 512MB RAM, Ti500 64MB, Hercules Fortissimo II soundcard, IBM 60GXP 40GB, WindowsXP (without SP1), DX8.1

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Which Video Drivers are you using ? - I got this when I installed the beta 40.41's I hope it will be fixed with the WHQL release. If you look out of side views the problem goes away!! StrangeKeith Cocker

Yup I am using the 40.41's. I haven't used FS much since I installed those. I'll try going back to an earlier version and see if it goes away.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I tried the same drivers with similar results. not only audio but terrible stuttering, almost like watching a bad film, since I've gone back to the ancient 28.32, reinstalled Direct X (Win2K) all seems well again.I was also using Riva tuner and set everything back to default, so much for me being clever...performance has increased !George

HiI am desperately looking for help and a solution, I am experiencing crackling distorted noises in Flight Simulator 2002. This only occurs when you enter thick clouds, it

I would suggest you use certified drivers for your Video-Card AND update your DirectX drivers. I see you are using 9.0 drivers. I experienced a similar problem with non-certified drivers and DX9.0.When I installed cfertified drivers and DX 9.0a the problem went, as did stutters in the sim.Some more memory won't hurt either. XP Pro needs a lot of memory for itself so consider upgrading to at least 512 MB would be an option.I have recently gone from 256 to 512 and it made a hell of a difference, no more hard-disk swaps for one, which could have an effect on your sound performance since clouds put a huge strain on CPU and if your systems does HD-memory swaps that sure does not help.Try also to lower cloud-thickness and see if the problem might be related to that.Hope that helpsHappy flyingRalph HummelStaff ReviewerAVSIM Online

HiMany thanks for your reply.Please could you give me step by step instructions on:-a)How and where to download certified versions, from 41.09 onwards to 43.45 they are not certified. From www.nvidia.com which drivers should I go for please?b)How to get certified drivers for DX 9.0, maybe if you don't mind you can provide me with a direct link.With regards to memory at this time present I would like to leave it as a last resort.I am using Active Sky by Just Flight "A great add on" but the constant shuttering crackling sound is spoiling it, it so strange when you change view it goes away.Appreciate your help and look foward to any replies.

HiThanks for the direct link, I get small amount of Stuttering but no much, which is great. The only problem is that in control Panel, I can't find anyways of turning Anisotrpic Filtering On. How can I turn it on?On the 41.09 onwards you can (thats what I want on the 30.82.ThanksLook fowd for reply.

Guest sb55mv

>I recently reinstalled FS2002 because I had installed so many>planes and panels that the FS2002 directoy was becoming too>big.>>Anyway, after reinstalling it, I now have this annoying>problem. When I fly through clouds, the sound crackles, and>ATC sounds distorted. It only seems to happen when flying>through clouds, when the clouds are far a way or there are>only some small clouds visible, there are no problems. It's>really annoying when you're trying to hear what ATC is saying>to you but you can't hear anything because of the distorted>audio.>>My system is:>AthlonXP 1900+, 512MB RAM, Ti500 64MB, Hercules Fortissimo II>soundcard, IBM 60GXP 40GB, WindowsXP (without SP1), DX8.1Hi All,I had the same thing so I tried the other drivers and no joy, I was on the 41.09, and then the 43.?? etc, but no luck, so I tried the 43.51 (WHQL cert'ed) and now no problems,PS I would suggest you go to M/Soft's site and get the latest DirectX 9.0a too, but hey, all our problems will be solved in MS COF, better all round and fully DX9 too, couple this with a better and easier SB3 and it will be a joy again to fly, and the new MS-COF is only ONE version this time for about

I downloaded the 43.51 from NVIDIA but it is not WHQL Certified, it took me ages to download, where can I find one that is WHQL Certified?Thanks

Guest sb55mv

I got mine from Guru3d I think, somewhere like that anyway I'm possitive, have a hunt around, if no joy e-mail them, there pretty good at responding.

I am downloading as I am writting this, I found it aswell on guru3d, I will let you know how it goes.Thanks

Hi I tried the 43.41 WHQL, but still I get the crackling sound when I am in the clouds.Appreciate any further advice anybody or yourselfd can offer.Thanks