Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Anyone notice how FS2K2 is so much more colorful than t

I was just flying the other day, and it came to me that the real world is really not as vibrantly and deeply colorful as FS2002 depicts it to me. Most of the time there is a haze hanging over a largely uncolorful palette of colors on the ground, be it mountains or fields. I, for one, would like to see the textures and everything else (including the sky) in FS2004 be "washed" a bit more, so that it resembles the real world colors more.

Sure is hazy blue & brown in real life, but we have to havesomething to make up for the tremendous lackof detail thus far in the sim.Peter Sydney Australia

>I, for one, would like to see the textures and everything >else (including the sky) in FS2004 be "washed" a bit more, >so that it resembles the real world colors more.Personally I am against artificial "washing" of the textures and the other reply got it right - some vibrancy is needed to make up for the poor resolution of our simulated scenery as compared to the real world. However, as soon as technology allows for it I would very much like to see gradual haziness added the higher you go (this should also be a function of weather) or further you look. Michael J.

Maybe you folks aren't old enough to remember the first MSFS.I certainly am and I am quite happy with FS2002 until the next edition hits the stores.Just an opinion.C Evansftd1949

I personally prefer the fall textures for mountainous country. Here is one of my older "fall" pics.Edit---- that's haze in the foreground, not blurriness :)L.Adamson

I think that with this issue much depends on your monitor. I now have 3 on my desktop and the 21" TRINTRON has the most lifelike colors of any I've ever used. There is a certain flesh-tone reality to everything on this big flat screen monitor. The smaller TRINITRONs yield greater, richer color which is delightful but less realistic. Anyway, I love everything about Fs2002 and now that I upgraded the PC, I couldn't be happier. If I never have another version of the sim or another monitor, I could live with this for years to come.Cheers!JS

I agree completely. When I first got FS2k the sky was too blue and the water too vivid. I use haze now to soften it up. I like the idea of using fall colors.M

Guest SoarPics

Like Larry I fly alot in the mountains (Sierra Nevada and Cascade)in this sim, and I also find the fall colors more to my taste.Having said that, my photographic experience reminds me that in the real world light is dynamic. Last week I flew in a Long EZ from the central California valley to Carson City, then to the bay area. I was struck with the deep hues of the greens, browns, and even neutral grays as we made our early morning climb out from Stockton. It reminded me of this sim. Yet six hours later, in the high afternoon sun, the colors were flatter as we made our way back across the valley to Palo Alto.In the end, I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder... and in our private simming experience we each get to be the beholder. ;)

It's all in the settings. Reduce visible distance, reduce mesh complexity.Turn on mipmapping (turning it off leads to very weird effects anyway, at least on my machine).Everything will look much more realistic.

I would definitely not want anything washed out. I think you simulate reality when you make every crystal clear, and then modify this by putting variable levels of haze in between you and the terrain--as in clouds, haze, smoke and fog. The variable part is what would separate it from simply washing everything out. In fact, if washed out is sought out, why not just adjust the brightness and contrast accordingly?Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X