Sign in to follow this  
ejoiner

To all of Anniette's critics...................

I was very saddened at what I heard, and at the same time annoyed by other people's lack of knowledge in their hobby. A certain person said that she was being hypocritical, as the logos etc were copyrighted in themself..... now what this ill advised fool didn't know is that many airlines are aware of the practice, and in the case of American Airlines they are "flattered" by painters using their livery* :) I quoted directly from American Airlines .... how much more proof do you need? :(Some people want everything for nothing, and when they realise that there are restictions.. they throw their toys out of their pram :-rollWhat kind of person would send viruses, and hate emails to someone so harmless? I'll tell you whom: Sad, immature, pathetic people!* = Quoted from American Airlines in 2001 :(

Guest Edam

>... now what >this ill advised fool didn't know is that many airlines are >aware of the practice, and in the case of American >Airlines they are "flattered" by painters using their >livery* :) I quoted directly from American Airlines >.... how much more proof do you need? :( Thanks BweeA340, you pretty much said what I was going to. If the AIRLINES THEMSELVES are not complaining about the use of their logos, for a game, and with usage that is not for profit, then who are these other individuals to complain about the use of them? Yeah, sure, let's all just have Orbit, World Travel, Landmark, Global Freightways, and nothing else. IF, and that's a BIG if, an airline goes to the extent of making an issue of people using their logos, then that would be a different story. Has it ever happened in all the years of flight simming? This whole issue is ridiculous.To paraphrase, and distort, the quote of Spock in "STAR TREK: THE WRATH OF KAHN"...it seems that the needs of the *few* outweigh the desires of the *many* in this hobby at times.Anniette, if you are reading this, I can understand if you don't want to paint for the general public anymore, but please don't go away completely. I think that you can see that there are many more who welcome you here than those that want to give you grief. To those that have, well, guess what I have to say to YOU?

Why am I biting :-roll.">... now what >this ill advised fool didn't know is that many airlines are >aware of the practice, and in the case of American >Airlines they are "flattered" by painters using their >livery* I quoted directly from American Airlines >.... how much more proof do you need?"That is why American had removed all files a while back on FS.com.That is why many Virtual Airlines have been shut downor asked to chang their name.This "ill advised fool" just so happens to work for an airline. This "ill advised foll" just so happens to know that the airline paid someone to design the livery" This "ill advised fool" knows that liveries are registered trademarks and copyrighted by airlines" This ill advised fool knows that most do not ask the airline they painted if they could have permission to copy ther logo and livery.The last one was my point. When someone takes a texture that you painted and uses it without permission you get upset right? They don't ask they just use it. Now when someone copies a texture or livery from an airline without asking that seems to be ok. I'm not saying that airlines are going to say no. I'm saying that you should show the same respect to the one who's livery and logo your copying that you would expect from others that want to copy yours. Thats all.As far as being critical of Mikes or Anniettes work. I think they are very talented people. I appreciate what they do. I have no hard feelings towards them as I hope they don't have towards me.Again I am going to repeat "you should show the same respect to the one who's livery and logo your copying that you would expect from others that want to copy yours. Thats all." This isn't condoning stealing, piracy, or not appreciating ones work. This is just hoping that people would treat others as they want to be treated. Now please do not attack me by making childish remarks such as "ill advised fool" I didn't attack you and I don't even know you. Jeff Cole

Pram = perambulator = stroller(U.S.)People sending viruses should have their genitalia removed using dull or blunt instruments.Apart from that I'm really a fun guy!

You just don't know when to stop, do you? It is because of all the crap you stirred up, she's not here. It is common practice to use the airline names and logos. Been going on for years. They know it and do not mind it. 41 posts to your name and all you have done so far is to raise everyones bloodpressure in here. You have not contributed anything to the sim community except aggrivation. I know I am not the only one who would really prefer you to leave. Your posts are nothing but negative and very gruff to individuals. I see what you're doing with your posts and you are like a window buddy. I can see right thru you. Go find another forum to stir things up in and do us all a favor. It's your type who is going to ruin it for everyone. I have no idea what thrill you get by doing this and if there is another agenda to your efforts, but many others including myself are about sick of it. If you can't contribute to the community in a positive, upbeat way, save the bandwidth for those who can. If you have no talents, don't condem those who do. Don

Don,Geese, give me a break. I have done work here my company asked me to stop because of the copyright thats all. I said I was sorry. All I wanted to say is the people should treat others with the same respect as the want to be treated.Frankly I could care less how you feel about me. I don't know you and you don't know me. I apologized to all including you in the below thread. What else do you want. I never bashed ones work!!!!What is it going to take!!!!Jeff

Right after I posted this I saw your post. (note time...minutes apart) You are correct. Drop it and never mention it again. I hope Anniette comes back, but I fear we have lost one of the best repainters I have seen for good. Don

Don,Trust me that wasn't my intention. I hope she would come back.Im sorry if I upset all here. I just want people to respect others work thats all.Jeff

Guest jase439

Jeff,Who the h*ll elected you to the role of forum police anyway? In the span of a few worthless posts, you have come to embody everything that's wrong about this hobby. If cancer needed a mascot, you'd have my vote. So why not haul your self-righteous arse back out the door it came through and let the rest of us enjoy a moment's peace without hearing about your zealous 'cause'.J

I don't see you complaining about anyone else painting real airline liveries.There's only about 25 of them posted daily, and that's just on this site...Don't you think that it is up to the airline management and legal department to decide what is allowed and what is not?If you're so disturbed by people duplicating the liveries on real aircraft I suggest you send a letter to the legal staff of the aircraft owner for every repaint on the internet asking them to take legal action against the painter.That would be the appropriate way.Most airlines don't mind people painting their livery. AA for a while did, but what they really wanted was to prevent other people making money out of it. Once an agreement was reached (brokered by Avsim among others) that noone would sell liveries of AA without explicit permission, that ban was lifted.Airlines like to have people see their logo and name all the time. Guess what, it brings brand recognition...Airlines stopping VAs is another matter. Those VAs usually mimmick the real airline in everything they do, including website design. Some don't even mention they're a VA on their website.Such behaveour is intollerable as it has the potential to directly interfere with operations of the airline.You're a vigilante with a wrong cause. Usually those end up dead or in prison in real life. Over here, you'll probably just end up despised and ignored.Now you go and stop POSKY, FFG, PFG, AFG, CSi, and all the others from painting realworld liveries! Let's see how long you survive trying to do that!

yes it was your intention. Saying it was not is like saying it was not your intention to kill the man you shot when you pulled the trigger of the gun you had placed to his head.It's a very thin defense and everyone can look right through it.

If I may step in here and offer a few words....As a repainter myself and I think that first off; what we paint is a copy of copyrighted material, plain and simple. There is no room for argument and to say otherwise is incorrect. Whether the airlines turns a blind eye or not doesn't change the fact that all airline logos, names, symbols, etc are OWNED by the respective airline.As excersized by American Airlines during the Peter Tishma debacle, all an airline has to do is execute a cease and desist order and *POOF* we are all flying blank airplanes. LIKEWISE just as Cessna and Beechcraft did with FLY! (told them NOT to use their names) Boeing and Airbus can force us to stop using their names and *POOF* we are flying BLANK 'Going 797s' and 'Airflues Q420s'.Artists such as myself and the rest who contribute much more than I ever could to this hobby, exist on the good graces of those whom we wish to represent in the form of a repaint of a livery or the design of an aircraft. We (generally) don't ask for permission to represent an airline livery or an aircraft and THEY generally don't complain.NOW, with that said, what we are working on here is common decency. If someone here in this community takes the time to paint or build an aircraft it SHOULD be a given that one does not just up and copy the work that a person took hours, days, weeks, years, to design. It is just not done. In this case Anniette, has proven herself to be a solid contributor, selfless collaborator and an all around VERY nice person and I can in no way shape or form logicize why she should be chastised especially since she gives of her talents for free. No one here has the right, and I say now STOP IT! However, DON'T make the mistake that anyone here can claim a copyright on someone elses work because you cant. I can't claim that my repaint of a Continental Airlines logo is mine to enforce because it is not. It is an exact replica of something an airline paid someone to develop and market and it belongs to them. Just like when I tried to release my Peter Max 777, I was shot down by Peter Max himself who under NO circumstances wanted his work reproduced. End of story. Again, there is no room for argument because it is the law (in most countries).Payware contributors such as Dreamfleet, PSS, etc. make money off of the use of other's copyrighted or even patented work (i.e. logos, aircraft designs, panels, etc.) and in the vast majority of cases, no royalties are collected or enforced. This, again, is done out of the good graces of the real world aviation community who respects that we are a group of PROPONENTS and LOYALISTS and in representing an airline livery or aircraft, it is done out of the LOVE and RESPECT for the beauty of the work of others. For me, I paint primarily Continental Aircraft, but in turn, I am a Continental Elite Frequent Flier, and spend a great deal of money by being loyal to Continental. It is a win-win situation.My point here is that this should not be about what is not even ours to fight over. The point here should be that of SIMPLE COMMON RESPECT (period).But in the same token I am a realist. If I found that someone has copied my copy of a logo, what am I to do? Can I sue? Well, not if the airline doesn't. How will I explain to a judge that I copied someone elses work without permission and then someone copied my work without permission and I want to be compensated for it? I can hear the jury's laughter now! :-lol However, if you DO decide to copy that which has been given or sold to this community without permission then all you do is exhibit the lack of morals, decency, respect that your parents should have taught you as a child and I pity you. (REGARLESS of who owns the logo).So, let's all stop the self righteous bullpucky, and enjoy our hobby for what it is. Just like the airlines are 'flattered' when somone else copies their logo, so should we. If THEY don't complain, I wonder what right we have?Just my opinion, but I could be wrong - Dennis Miller :-beerchug

I have got to say I disagree with this. The airline certainly has the rights to their own logo (no argument there) but the repaints we are talking about is much more than a logo. The whole model is textured, seam lines drawn in, labels, (possibly) windows, shadows, reflections, wear, oil and dirt. Some of them are works of art... How can anyone justify someone taking a model / textures that the original author has spent hours working on, adding a little text and putting it out as original work ???

He never said you don't have rights to the entire work.But if someone cuts out a small piece and uses that there's little you can do.Fuselage lines, windows, etc. are not used by consent of the airline, they're the painter's creation.Logos and fonts ARE trademarks and owned by someone else, used by implicit or explicit consent.Personally I wouldn't take the logo someone else created, except maybe as an example.Too much fun making my own :-)

Thank you for explaining it well!!!!!!!!!!For those of you that think I popped up all of a sudden. I have been around for quite a long time. It is funny how one doesn't like to be attacked and to say it is wrong but then they can attack another.It is funny how one can judge another by "41" posts on an AVSIM forum.It is funny how one is judged by how much freeware you hand out.It's funny how one goes against the grain and gets flamed for it.