Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Blurry textures-where'd the posts go???

Well, I lost my harddrive and had to start over from scratch :-( At first I thought it might be nice to have a clean slate but it is turning out to be quite a pain. The worst part, though, is I am now one of the blurry people. I never had blurries before and never gave much thought to the posts. Now I find that anything that is not right under my plane is blurry. No roads going off into the distance or anything. As near as I can tell, I have it set up just like before, at least within FS2K2. I know there should be a wealth of information here in the forum but a search, including the archives, came up with only 10 posts! Where'd they go?My specs:P4 Win XP 512RAM GEForce Ti4600 30.82 drivers

A quick to do list, that should clear the textures some....Download Rivatuner or it's equivalent...Lower your LOD to between -.5 and -1Enable anisotropic filtering, using the best TAP level your card can support...Max out all of FS2002's settings, then adjust down vs. what you prefer for an acceptable framerate, starting with AI, Autogen, & Water/Detail reflections...Start with these steps before applying any other tweaks (such as those oft mentioned for FS2002.cfg)....-John

John,Thanks for the reply! I did download Rivatuner but none of the suggestions I see quoted here have an obvious correction within Rivatuner. The interface I see looks pretty much like regedit (the registry editor) and when I select the "global" folder, I do see "LODBiasRange" but doubleclicking gives me a spinner control that does nothing and I can't type in a value either. What am I missing? I think I used to use the NVidia tweak program but when I went to download it, it specifically said it wasn't for use with newer drivers.David

I'm out of town and away from Rivatuner and my home p.c. at the moment. My version may also be older than yours.... I believe I had to dig into one of the other tabs to accomplish both the LOD bias adjustment and anisotropy adjustment.... I'm also still on the 21.83 drivers, so I don't know if Rivatuner has issues with the newer ones. I know someone else here prefers Rivatuner--it's been so long since I made my adjustments, I'm just appearing plain "riva senile".... :)-John

Start RivaTuner. In the Main Tab, under Driver Settings, where it says "Detonator XP Detected", click the betton next to customize. Then click the second button that pops up...the one with the X (Direct X). This screen is where you do most of your changes. The first tab is your LOD bias. Anisotropic Filtering is under Textures. Antialiasing is under....Antialising. ;-)Matt

Guest cwright

David, welcome to the club! Though it's a club you'll want to leave as soon as possible....I've been a member for almost two years now, because both CFS2 and FS2002 suffer from this problem. And, disappointingly, quite a few CFS3 screenshots show badly blurred textures. Remember that there are two basic kinds of blurries:static and dynamic. Try this test: when the textures are blurred simply pause and wait. If after a few tens of seconds the textures sharpen up, then you have dynamic blurred textures (i.e. they change with time). If it's dynamic, then sadly there is no known cure. But you can improve things by reducing the terrain complexity and using the lowest frame rate lock you can. Best regards, Chris

Matt,Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou (and thanks to everyone else too!). Rivatuner worked great and FS2K2 is actually looking better and smoother than before the reinstall - and that was pretty good! This forum beats any technical service hotline I've ever seen. In regard to the last post, I had the static blurries, I guess. I'm sorry there isn't a quick fix for the "permanent members" of the blurry club. Thanks again!David

Chris---Those are good suggestions...I've also noted that complex aircraft can make FS more prone to dynamic blurries.... The Flight1 Cessna 421 did this, until I shrank its textures to DXT1 format and removed the alpha channel (I fly it w/o reflections).Another "trick" to clear dynamic blurries without pausing the flight is to assign a key to "ground" view, then look at the ground view during flight. The textures will clear.... (Some have noted that zooming out helps too)... Once the ground view clears, you can look out of the cockpit and the surrounding textures will be cleared as well.Panning the view too rapidly will also cause dynamic blurries. One should always wait 30 seconds before panning the view more than 90 degrees....Limiting visibility (when you don't need high visibility) to 20-40 miles also helps quite a bit...Generally, I can keep my FS view as sharp or sharper than the real world view might be, all the time. CFS2 never bothered me--having spent some time around Guam in the Pacific and other tropical islands off of South America, the humid haze around the islands never allowed ground clarity from the air to come close to CFS2's sharpness. I remember one flight I took from Margarita to Angel Falls back in 1990. I sat right seat, and still had no clue there was an airport in front of me after the pilot put us on final, other than what the ILS needle told me. Even after we climbed to 10,000 ft during our flight, I could see distant clouds, but 10-15 miles away from the aircraft, the ground was a blurred muck that blended with the haze.I find the same true almost everywhere else in the FS world, with the exception of the desert and high mountain regions...-John