Sign in to follow this  
Guest flightpro08

XP SP1- Who's having trouble?

I have installed SP1 and have yet to see a problem. I read another post on this forum where a number of people appear to have uninstalled it. I'm wondering if there's a common thread to those that are and aren't having a problem with this.The only strange issue I've seen, and this may have nothing to do with SP1, is that tonight my fps went to virtually 0 as I was landing at KDCA, after a 1 hour flight using the great B727 panel and Mike Stone's wonderful aircraft. This could have been anything though.P4-1.8G Northwood512M RAMGeForce 3 Ti200ABit BD7AThanks- I note that looking at posts,one common theme may be the G4 video card causing issues, but it's hard to tell.Bruce.

Guest gasebah

Hi Bruce,same here, zero problems. And I have a GF4Ti4600Ti. I really ask myself if the SP1 is the real source of the problem at all. I really have a suspect that it reveals problems with messed up driver installations that obviously a lot of people have rather than being a problem by itself.Alex

Guest CapnCol

I downloaded this on Wednesday night and tested out my flight sim the following night. I didnt notice anything untoward after a return flight from London to Newquay (approx 2.5 hrs in the Golden Eagle).The only thing I noticed was that occasionally the scenery "shook" momentarily when I changed some of the views.There are also new direct X files now as well (dated 29/8/02) but the direct X version still says 8.1.The big difference now is that my video card (Nvidia TNT2 32mb) advanced settings are no longer available to me. I used to be able to play around with all sorts of settings, but now there is nothing. Perhaps it is somewhere I have n't found yet, or perhaps just waiting for the next set updated drivers. Also, defragging now takes just a fraction of the time it used to take (about 1 minute to sort out 10gb of data - when it used to be 10mins for 8gb). Colin

There has been no difference to me after I installed SP1... Feels like I never installed it, nothing went wrong and nothing improved, it seemsKitty MercuryCathay Pacific Virtual Pilot (CX252)

Guest PhilC

Same here, no problems at all. SP1 actually fixed a couple of problems that I was having.I should mention that a few other people I know had to reinstall their video drivers after installing SP1. This was despite the fact that the video properties reported that the correct ones were still there. In one case, the user had to first uninstall the video drivers and then reinstall.

Guest jase439

Bruce, the common thread (from what I have observed) seems to be with GF4 users with FSAA enabled. You also need to have the 40.42's installed as well. With FSAA disabled, everything is peachy in FS. With it, the whole sim goes to h*ll in a handbasket. You might try disabling FSAA in the driver and see if it clears up your problem. Again, ALOT of people have this problem, but there are some who seemingly have escaped it. There could be a dozen or more explanations for that...likely a hardware/software/driver combo that doesn't play nicely with SP1. I was one of the unlucky ones, so I'm back to the original out-of-the-box" XP.You could also be having issues with AI flooding. Sometimes, FS will put a ridiculous volume of aircraft all around one major airport and it will drag the sim down to a snail crawl. Not sure what you keep your AI slider at, but I keep it down around 33% or so and have had good results with it.J

Hi Jason,Thanks for the info. Actually, I'm one of those who are not having issues (as far as I can tell, other than the low fps when landing the other night, and as you say, this may have been an AI issue).I don't use FSAA, nor the 40.42 drivers. I've tried FSAA on my system, and while it did make a difference, I felt is wan't worth the frame-rate penalty that I recall seeing (I run at 1280*1024).What I have seen, however, is that the annoying "jerks" or "stutters" appear to have gone. So, for me, it appears to be a net positive.Thanks for your reply, I hadn't visited here for a few nights, and sawa thread that looked like SP1 had the black plague :)Thanks,Bruce.

For the record, I hade major pauses in FS after I installed SP1. I have since uninstalled it, and everything is back to normal.I have a GF4-Ti4200 and an Athlon XP processor. I disabled AGP texturing in DXDiag and my AGP aperture in the BIOS is 16 (I think). I run FS2002 in full screen mode at 1024x768x32 with most of the sliders at or near the max. All the display things (like MIP mapping and T&L are enabled. I think RivaTuner sets the antialiasing to Quincux or whatever it's called.Don't know what else might be relevant...Greghttp://www3.sympatico.ca/gregory.moffatt/ERJ.jpg

Greg,>For the record, I hade major pauses in FS after I installed >SP1. I have since uninstalled it, and everything is back to >normal. > Do you use FS Meteo? I installed SP1 and began to experience Pauses in the scenery rendering on a regular 20-22 second cycle. I only got this when running FS Meteo (I use the Offline Weather option). The problem is solved completely by going into the properties page of FS Meteo.exe and setting the compatibility mode for W2000 and disabling the Visual themes.Not sure if this is the problem you are encountering but this worked for me. SP1 has brought some general speed improvement to Windows for me and FS2002 seems a little smoother (no FPS change Though).Best wishesKeith Cocker

Hi Keith,Yes, I do use FSMeteo, but the pauses occur when glancing left/right changing views, changing panel, or taking a screenshot. It's probably that issue with antialiasing, but I'm hoping MS will patch their patch to allow me to use my graphics card's features. Until then, though, the SP will stay off.All the best,Greghttp://www3.sympatico.ca/gregory.moffatt/ERJ.jpg

My experience has been a loss of Airport & NAv info in Map View. This has happened to others as well. I have an NVIDIA card. Have also seen flashes of white while in flight. I have seen about 5 different suggested remedies. Roll Back SP1, Reinstall FS2002, Reinstall Video drivers, turn off AntiAliasing, and combinations of all. I have also read of problems with rolling back SP1. At this point I'm just waiting and gathering info. Without certainty of correction all above choices appear to have more risk than benefit.

Paul,For what it's worth, I had no problems removing the service pack, and everything went back to the way it was. I just clicked Remove on the Add/Remove programs for SP1. Quick and easy.Also, for the record, another symptom of the SP on my system was distorted text (both the red text and the text in the ATC box). I didn't notice the map view issues that you mention, but I didn't use the map in the short time that I had SP1 installed.Best regards,Greghttp://www3.sympatico.ca/gregory.moffatt/ERJ.jpg

Greg, Oh Canada. Thanks. Seems many people have been successful with Remove SP1. Cocern is I've read that this SP1 will become essential after Oct. 1 since MS will not make available future fixes and patches to anyone without SP1. At this point I'd almost rather have Map View than MS security patches. As per earlier suggestions in this thread I have turned "off" A-A in my Nvidia however this has had no noticealbe change. In full screen mode my letters were not blurred and I am able to access my menu with ALT. I have noticed these Aligator edges on my planes etc. depending on angle of view. Don't know if they were there all along. I'm looking more closely these days but my guess is this is also new since SP1.

I have heard that comment too, Paul, about forgoeing security patches is SP1 is not installed. At this point, I've chosen a useable FS2002 over those patches. I wonder if these issues are appearing in other games, and if Microsoft plans to rectify the situation with a further update.Guess I'll wait and see...Also, the alligator edges would be a result of disabling anitaliasing.Have a great afternoon,Greghttp://www3.sympatico.ca/gregory.moffatt/ERJ.jpg

No problem here. Everything runs better thatn before, especially FS2k2.