Sign in to follow this  
Francois_Dumas

Mandatory training requirements of VAs

Why are there so many mandatory training requirements for VAs? Not meaning to sound snooty, I have been flying a computer since 1985. I am right in the middle of the most-populated age demographic according to the AVSIM survey. And I have hundreds of hours either flying GA or VA online, as well as experience in the VA management pipeline. I did the training programs when I had the time, or I was trying to impress my flight-sim peers. Family and job requirements demanded more of me, and cut down on my flight-sim time. Occassionally, I surf the VAs that are out there to see if one catches my fancy. I feel, like anyone would, my experiences give me something to offer a virtual airline.Then I get to the "training requirements." Some of these are just short hops, some are full-blown programs. I understand the purpose behind this; I remember the dialog a couple of years ago about training for new pilots. When the online thing was new, I felt it was my duty to check those boxes.But now the object of my flying is to have fun. With time being limited, I do not wish to go through some training program to do something I already know how to do. I know real-world pilots retrain all the time, but this is only a simulation, and retraining is not something I have time to simulate.I realize some people go to a lot of trouble to create these programs, and I don't wish to disparage these folks at all. There just aren't any options for any "old timers" like me. I guess I am expressing that frustration here.Fly Safe.Darin

You may want to have a look at some of the 'laid-back' outfits taht are there. Folks flying with Bush Flying Unlimited, ABC, and the likes (see my Sig) do NOT believe in making things so complicated and here the emphasis is on the fun of flying. Sure, we do not fly complicated FMC's and stuff, don't depend on real-world ATC (such as VATSIM), feeling that we all have enough stress in our real lives with rules and regulations.Have a look around at the bush 'VA's' and for fun flying over the weekend, visit the EFFC (http://emmafield.simflight.com)Kind regards from a guy flying since 1979... ;-) :-outta Francois :-wave[table border=0 cellpadding=10 cellspacing=0][tr][td valign=bottom" align="center]"At home in the wild"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:avsim.com/alaska/alaska_052.htm]Don's Alaskan Bush Charters]"Beavers Lead the Way"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][br][tr][td valign=top" align="center]http://www.fssupport.com/images/moose4.gif[/td][td valign="top" align="left" colspan=2][/td][tr][/table

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

Guest The Ancient Brit

Darin,I am with you all the way, having been through a similar mill, I understand your feelings about mandatory training and rules and regulations.It is just as well however that flight simming is such a broad church. There are virtual pilots whose idea of flight simming is five and six hour trans-oceanic flights at FL390 in conformance with the correct departure and arrival procedures. To such pilots, mandatory training and rules and regulations are meat and drink. I have the utmost respect for their preferences and admiration for their knowledge.Being a retired Wrinkly I have the time for long haul flights, but not the inclination. Give me flights of about two hours duration maximum and fill them with incidents of low level flying in the Himalayas, Alaska or along narrow winding Alpine valleys. As unreal as it gets is my motto.Since Bush flying seems to be the rage, I wonder if Francois can confirm that many of its recruits are experienced Virtual Airline pilots who have become weary of flights that amount to no more than schedule fillers.Denis. The Ancient Brit.

Hi Denis,as far as I can tell we have all sorts of pilots joiing the bush 'thing'. If I take the Emma Field Flying Club as any measure, it indeed would seem to become a 'rage' !After we announced the intentions and even before opening a website or having any 'official' events we already had over 200 applications !! It totally baffled us ! We are now heading for the 300 members mark, and growing !The people that joined this specific club (NOT a VA !) seem to be mostly inexperienced, especially in multiplayer flying. Almost all have purchased LAGO's Emma Field and love it.. then discover the club, join..... and have fun !The 'regular' bush flying outfits (some VA, some not really) attract a wide variety of simpilots too. Most are experienced FS flyers though, and some still do the long-haul flights. To them the bush flying is a way of flying smaller planes, enjoy scenery and VFR flying and STILL be occupied in some sort of 'serious' way with flying.I would tend to think however that most bush flyers and club flyers are people looking to enjoying the hobby and also learning without the 'stress' of too many rules and regulations and without the complexity that comes with flying big aircraft in controlled air spaces.Cheers !! :-outta Francois :-wave[table border=0 cellpadding=10 cellspacing=0][tr][td valign=bottom" align="center]"At home in the wild"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:avsim.com/alaska/alaska_052.htm]Don's Alaskan Bush Charters]"Beavers Lead the Way"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][br][tr][td valign=top" align="center]http://www.fssupport.com/images/moose4.gif[/td][td valign="top" align="left" colspan=2][/td][tr][/table

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog