Sign in to follow this  
FS Robert

who is addicted to flight sim?

I am with you. Remember "Final flight" and Jet from sublogic? Strike eagle was great as was Jetfighter 1.I bought an Amiga computer just so I could have threshold lines on the runway at Oakland, Ca airport!In 1989 the simming made me do the real thing-now a real thing junkie in addition to the computer stuff-nice to be addicted twice!http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/Geofdog2.gif

Hello, my name is Owen Hewitt, and I am a FlightSim design addict. When I am not in front of my PC working in gmax, photoshop, PSP, or any other design tool I use, I'm thinking about "what's next" on my agenda for creating FS aircraft. The addiction bug hit me hardest when I started using FSDS, but now it has really taken off with my becoming a team designer at FSD. I can't get enough of it!!I agree, the hobby does get better, every two years.I don't think any therapy would do me any good...just give me more FS. *:-*Regards,Owen

Glad you like it checkpointcharlie; it's my best work yet. :) Geofa, I remember those sims. In fact, Jetfighter I was awesome. Forget the unbelievable, unrealistic, premise of the game; it was fun.I gotta say you got the bug real bad. It's nice when I read of people who turned the hobby into the real thing. I thought about doing it, but not enough time or resources. Going up every now and then with my brother is kewl enough.Anyway, in the old days we enjoyed sims for what they were. People today do not know how blessed we are as simmers. For us old-schoolers, we are finally getting our dreams and wishes. Sure we wanted more, we had our gripes, but we appreciated what our lil' ole sims did for us. Today, I see too many complaints of what's not in a sim, flight model not 100% on the numbers, graphics not good enough, sound not 100% accurate, etc. These new kids need to learn to appreciate what's in the sim and realize that PCs have limitations. Okay, I'm off my soap box. :)--THere's to flight sims, long may they reign.

HI Talon,Just wanted to let you know I think you are correct in saying: " Today, I see too many complaints of what's not in a sim, flight model not 100% on the numbers, graphics not good enough, sound not 100% accurate, etc. These new kids need to learn to appreciate what's in the sim and realize that PCs have limitations ". Far tooooooo many complaints arise on the forum, life is to shot for this, but people are who they are...people!, yes a strange breed. This Hobby Just Keeps Getting Better... :-yellow1Kind RegardsRobert

Vl3MQY.png

I remember this little flight sim I had for my Radio Shack Color Computer 2. It was a black background and everything in the sim looked like stick figures. I used a cruddy little joystick for it and thought the

Some of my friends cant understant how it can be fun to stare at gauges and spot view a 747 on long-haul flight I'm addicted to FS2002 as well, but still don't understand how you can stare at guages in a 747 on a long-haul flight??? ;-))BORING! ;-)

Hi all, Thought I would throw my 10 cents worth in. I have been addicted to Flight Sims from the age of 10 (I am now 26).Below I have listed a few of my favourite...Elite on the BBC Acorn. (Not strictly a flight sim, but good fun)F19 Stealth Fighter on the Spectrum & Atari STGunship on the SpectrumFighter Bomber on the Atari STFalcon & Falcon 2.0 on the Atari STFlight of the Intruder on the Atari STWing of Fury on the Amiga (Not a sim but bloody great)CAP on the AmigaA320 Airbus on the AmigaTornado on the Atari ST (A Classic! Nothing has come close. A Remake would be very much welcomed Hint Hint Developers ;-)Knights of the Sky on the Atari ST.ThunderHawk on the Atari STGunship 2000 on the PCJetfighter II on the PCMig Alley on the PCFalcon 4.0 on the PCComanche on the PCAnd last but not least, the King of 'em all FS95,FS98,FS2000 & FS2002

So true Robert, people are who they are...Hehehe, Midland I see we have an Atari guy in the house. I had an ST with several sims including Falcon 2. IMHO, the Atari was years ahead of the PC then. As for the Amiga, don't get me started... :) It's a shame it went south due to poor marketing. I see you had some of the real good titles: F-19, JFII, Flight of the Intruder, and GS 2000. I even had the Islands and Ice scenario for GS 2000. As for Tornado, don't get me started... :) My time was spent between Tornado and Falcon 3. I almost lost my wife back then. ...something about me spending more time with sims than with her, women... :) Thing is, she now supports my habit. go figure. :)--TWell, it's been fun. BTW, I'm on a FS strike. I'm not going to fly until FFG and PSD release their Saabs. :-wink2 :-badteeth ...it's driving me crazy.

Flying on a Commodore 64 was so much fun back then! I was just a kid, but I remember drooling over those Prologic adds in BYTE magazine. I even remember reading and re-reading a review of it and step-by-step flight from Meigs to Champlaigne (sp?). Ah, the memories.Doug>Hey Guys, >>I'm 62 years old and have been addicted to Flight Sims since >FS2 on a Commodore 64 in the early 80's. I buy computers >just to keep up with the latest version. I've flown all the >versions of FS except FS95 plus Flight Assignment ATP and >Flight Unlimited I and II. Remember "The Battle of Britain"? >"Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe"? "Battlehawks 1942"? "Aces >of the Pacific"? "Aces Over Europe"? ETC, ETC, ETC!!!!!!! >I'm retired and divorced so I have nobody to answer to right >now. It's the best of all worlds. >>DO YOU THINK I'M ADDICTED???? *:-* >>maxsdad

Guest guyjr

Yeah, I hear 10 hours of C-172 time is going for $25 / bag, while 5 hours of PSS A320 time will drop you back $50 / pipe. Man those pushers are hitting me hard this week!:D *:-* :-bang :-badteeth :D

Guest guyjr

Ah, Flight Assignment: ATP. Now _there_ was a step forward in flight simulation. It would be very cool to integrate into FS2K2 some sort of flight rating system like they had in ATP. Maybe there's one out there? I particularly liked being able to select the departure and arrival airports, and then finding out how well I did on the trip: deviations from airways, deviations from altitude, and other checks. I played that game soooooooooo much on my old 386/20sx... ah, them were the good ol' days. I think my favorite memory of that game was on approach to ORD at night, with the lights turned quite low in my room, with a sound driver for the Gravis Ultrasound that gave much more realistic sound. It was incredibly immersive back then, a giant leap from the FS4 days.

Oh man, not just this sim but simming in general and these boards. I'm lucky to be on a PC all day so I jump from one board to another looking for all the new planes and stuff to download as soon as I get home.I was one of those guys that would never pay for addons, now that I'm so addicted I want the highly detailed planes. I bet I've spent $150 just on addon jets & helos. But my wife always knows where I am and can always check in on me. So were both happy :D

Guy, You are so right. I think ATP was so far ahead of it's time. Remember the automatic scenery load. It only loaded what your computer could run at your presets. Being able to request different runway assignments, ETC. FS is still behind ATP on some features. Remember the interactive ATC where you could request different altitudes ETC. ATP was my favorite sim and if they were still around I think they would still be giving FS a run for the money.maxsdad

I have been a FS addict for about 8 years and have really enjoyed it. Now however, I have to admit things are starting to slow down a bit. Without the competition of Pro Pilot, Flight Unlimited, FLY!, etc., my enthusiasm is slowing down. It seems that FS2002 products, i.e., addons have slowed down enough, that I'm not hanging around my local software store or waiting at the mailbox for the latest thing. The freeware files seem to be primarily aircraft. Not a whole lot of scenery being produced, even with the release of the scenery SDK. If something doesn't change, i.e., a new product or download, it will be a long wait until FS 2004.Paul