Sign in to follow this  

Which is better for FS2002, XP or Win2K?

I took the plunge and bought Win2K having grave reservations about activation technology. I can still return it as it hasn't arrived yet, but is there a compelling reason to go with XP over 2K for FS2002? I prob will stay with 2K since there are serious issues with XP as far as SCSI is concerned that is not an issue with 2K through SP2.Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Guest Eagle92395

I run XP Pro and have no problems. I actually have grown to love XP. Didn't want to move from my trusty 98SE, but I did and now I really like it. Very "tweak" friendly. The activation thing is no big deal really. It took me 5 mins and I haven't had a problem yet, SP1 went on fine and all updates...etc have been smooth and easy. I had Win NT a long time ago and never did like it much. Good luck!

As long as you purchase a legit copy, the activation should not be an issue. I have reformatted a few times even due to hardware changes and reactivated with no problems. I would go with XP as it is more "gamer friendly" IMHO.

Guest jase439

What many people do not realize is that WPA (XP's copy protection) not only tolerates minor hardware upgrades, but also has a built in 120-day 'grace period' for those "heavy upgrades". This grace period was added at the last moment before the product went gold due to bad publicity and outside pressure from PC vendors. This allows you to completely replace every piece of hardware in the box and XP will continue to install without a hitch. Only if you radically altered your system within that 120-day period would you run into trouble. Even then, it's a painless matter of picking up the phone and getting an activation code.XP has lots of "goodies" that many users will find useful, but at the core it's still Windows 2000. You will not go wrong with Win2K. It's a rockin' OS, and about as solid and reliable as anything to come out of Redmond. The DirectX performance is not quite as good in 2000 as it is in XP, but it's certainly not poor either. 2000 was designed as NT successor whereas XP was built on 2000, but designed as the successor of Win9x, so it offers some multimedia optimizations that you wouldn't find in 2000.If you think you'll be doing alot of gaming, multimedia, working with digital media, etc...XP is probably your better choice. Otherwise, either one will do you good.J

I have Win 98 Se and have the Disk for XP Pro. Scared to death to install it any help out there?Favorite area to Fly--Alaska!

Guest JonP01

Actually this Product Activation (PA) does concern me (perhaps due to lack of knowledge of exactly how it works) and at present I am sticking with Win98SE because of these reservations. Before anyone thinks I am not totally above-board with my copies of software, I am. I have two machines, two separate licensed copies of Windows and two separate licensed copies of FS2002. I'm totally above board when it comes to these things. All my software is fully licensed and always will be.But what worries me about XP PA is I can't get a straight answer as to exactly how it works in the real world. For example, the PA on my copy of Office 2000 is fine. I can only install it on my second machine, as that is what the code was issued by Microsoft for, and that is fine by me. If I had wanted to run it more than one machine, I would have bought more licenses. No problem. However, if I reformat my hard drive on my second machine, I can continue to re-use my original code without problems. Again this is fine, as I do not have to approach Microsoft cap-in-hand and ask for yet another code.Not long after I had bought Office 2000, I had problems with two components in my machine (RAM and Video). As each component got replaced, I re-formatted the machine and had to get new codes for Office 2000. Microsoft were not particularly friendly about issuing me with a new codes, especially considering that that was the third code I had asked for within two weeks of buying Office 2000. I am sure the wheels were going around in the head of the person at Microsoft who had to give the codes out. However I am now happy with Office 2000, as I've been using it for 18 months and have never needed a new code because I haven't changed any hardware and don't intend to. I still re-format the machine on a six-monthly basis but never have to worry about asking for new codes. I have no problems at all with this sort of system.But from what I have heard the XP PA is different. I keep getting told that even if I re-format my hard drive, I have to get a new code from Microsoft. Considering how much I tinker with PCs, and the amount of software and junk that gets loaded / unloaded on my PC, I have to confess I re-format on a semi-regular basis relatively speaking. I really just don't feel comfortable having to approach MS any time I do this. What is to say they just turn around and say no more codes, or they stop supporting the product and stop giving out codes period? After all, I still use that obsolete OS, Win98SE, and am perfectly satisifed with it. But had Win9x hypothetically employed PA, whats to say MS would not turn around and say "sorry, we don't support that OS any more". So if was still using Win XP in 5 years time (not an outlandish scenario at all - afterall, how old is Win9x now?), what's to say they just don't tell me to take a hike?If can re-use the same code when I re-format, then I wouldn't hesitate to buy XP, but as it stands I am a little cautious for the above reasons. Certainly if I was a "Joe Average" user who never gets his hands dirty on his PC, then I wouldn't really care.Can anyone confirm exactly how the process works? ie can you re-format and re-install XP without involving MS?

Well, I am sure that quite soon, Microsoft will stop supporting Windows 98. They already stopped supporting Internet Explorer 4. Windows 98 is already 5 years old, Windows 95 8 years old. And I really think that Windows XP is a lot more stabler. As stable as Windows 3.1? Windows 95 was messy and so was Windows ME... Never used Windows 2000 (my Dad used it while I used Windows ME but then he also used Linux and Unix and BeOS and SunSparc (!!!) ). Windows XP seems to be even stabler than Windows 3.1 for me, and when I stuffed something up, it recovered quite easily.Kitty MercuryCathay Pacific Virtual Pilot (CX252)