Sign in to follow this  
briansommers

which language to learn for automatic va's??

i think ive ask this loong time ago but want to again, beacuse this time im hoping for a more detailed answeri want it to do the followingbe able to keep track of each plane (each with a different registration number) and at the location is flew to (the airport) and which pilot flew it, as well as hours, etc all that stuff and want it to be able to assign flights to pilots automatically etc.now, some people say mySQL others say PHP, well which one is it?? and what do i need on my web server? in other words what do i look for when i sign up for my web server? ill be using MS front page 2002 to build the web pages but what language to do the above?what is the easist to learn or is that an oxymoron?ciao!Brian S

Ciao!

Guest jonf

There are two parts to the process you want to do. The first is the coding of your scripts. The second is your method of storage.PHP is a scripting language that can be used to write your code. ASP is another.mySQL is a database that your scripting language can use to store the data it collects. MSAccess is another.You would use PHP and mySQL together to achieve your goal.

but then which combo should i choose?php and mysqlor asp and mysqlor php and msaccessor asp and msaccessand which is cheaper?ciao!Brian S

Ciao!

The typical combinations are:- PHP+mySQL: Open source and free. Runs on several OSes including Windows and Linux.- ASP+Access or SQLServer: Access and SQLServer are small- and large-scale databases, respectively. All are closed-source from Microsoft. Requires Windows.Which combination you choose depends on:1. If you have a preference for open- vs. closed-source software.2. If your server or hosting provider already has one or the other.3. If you already know the PHP language (or if you already know C or Java, you can pick up PHP pretty easily) or Visual Basic (ASP is VBScript).4. If your server is running Linux, FreeBSD, etc., then you'll use PHP+mySQL.5. If you're running your own server and need to acquire the software and/or OS.Which is cheaper? If you're running your own server, then Linux+PHP+mySQL is free--just download it all. If you're using a hosting provider, then you'll have to compare the monthly fees (unless you can find a free service).Which do I prefer? PHP+mySQL because it doesn't lock me in to any particular OS. My stuff can run on any server and OS that has PHP and mySQL on it. It also doesn't cost me anything to run a complete setup on a PC at home to develop and test on before uploading the code to my hosting provider.Peter http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/PeterR.gifBFU Forums ModeratorRenegade/Seawolf Design Group (RSDG)[table border=2 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=1][tr][td][table border=0 cellpadding=8 cellspacing=0][tr][td bgcolor=#6f0000]http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/logo75t.gif[/td][td align="center" bgcolor=#FFFFF6]Bush Flying Unlimited"At home in the wild"Looking for adventure? Come join us! * [link:bfu.avsim.net|Web Site] * [link:www.cafepress.com/bfu,bfu2,bfu3,bfu4|BFU Store] * [link:bfu.avsim.net/join.htm]Join!][/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table