Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stamatis

Omega nVidia drivers for outstanding texture quality

Hi all,If you possess a top notch GeForce4 graphics card together with a fast processor you will be amazed at the improvement in the quality of the textures in FS2002 by changing to the Omega nVidia drivers available here: -www.omegacorner.com/Be aware that these drivers are slower (2-3 fps on my Athlon 2000 / Ti4600) than standard nVidia drivers but the improvement in image quality more than makes up for this. The author recommended you set AGP Aperture to 128Mb and although this introduces a few stutters they are not that intrusive.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest gasebah

Hi Ray,pls do not be offended. But honestly I do not know. I had them once and was impressed at first sight. But these drivers buy the quality improvement with a very agressive LOD bias by default. Therefore you will get a terrible amount of flimmering and shimmering textures. Apart from that they offer nothing that could not be achieved by a little tweaking. With the 40.41s you will not even need an additional tweaker to set AF. You can simply set AF to 4x in the drivers menue. If your computer is fast enough and the scenery is not too dense you can try 8x. On my rig this offers by far the most calm and stable picture with fairly good texture quality. If you set the LOD bias to a slightly negative level with a tweaker, you can even achieve better results.Cheers,Alex

Hi Alex,I'me never offended by someone else's opinion providing they are polite and you certainly are :DI haven't noticed the shimmering that you describe. Any that is there is certainly reduced from what I had before. I'm using Gary Perfect's excellent UK aiports package and Gary recommends Mip Mapping be switched on but that always had a negative effect on image quality with the default scenery. But, with Mip Mapping switched on and 4xS Anti-Aliasing enabled the effect is really nice IMHO.I'm scratching my head but cannot think what LOD or AF stand for. Some clues please?This kind of thing is always subjective so I have no problem if others don't agree providing of course they have tried them before they poo-poo the suggestion ;-)For the record I'm running an Athlon 2000XP, GeForce4 Ti4600, 512Mb 2100DDR, XP Home. All sliders set to max with Ground Scenery switched off.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest Kurt

For what it's worth, the omega drivers that I have checked are no different than the Nvidia drivers of the same version. What is different is that instead of tweaking the settings with a tweaker such as Rivatuner (which writes to the registry) the omegas have the tweaks in the .inf file and write directly to the registry. Kurt M

Hi Pete,Level of detail and anisotropic filtering Ah right. I have AF set to disabled. Always have done. Isn't this just for OpenGL? What will this give me that I don't currently have?Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Kurt,The Omega one's default to higher image quality - the default nVidia ones have no such option. The author of the Omega drivers states that if you choose "Performance" instead of "Quality" there is no benefit to using his Omega ones.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest gasebah

You will sure have no texture shimmering when you have AA 4xs set. Because that will cure it. But in very dense scenery this will really give you a fps hit. But I agree that the Omega drivers with AA4s are given a stunning picture.My point is that it is almost the same quality as LODBias set to -0.5 and AF set at 4x. But my setting does not ahve the strong impact on framerates. BTW I am running at 1600x1200x32 which makes AA almost unecessary.Alex

Hi Alex,My point is that it is almost the same quality as LODBias set to -0.5 and AF set at 4x. But my setting does not ahve the strong impact on framerates. BTW I am running at 1600x1200x32 which makes AA almost unecessary.Okay, I'll try this at some point and see the difference. I'm running at 1280*960*32 and again this renders AA almost meaningless.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest Stamatis

Ray,The improvement in visual quality is indeed remarkable.But the use of full anti-aliasing has brought my PC to its knees :-( I suffered a 20%-25% drop in frame rates.I use an Athlon XP 2000+Stamatis

Hi Stamatis,But the use of full anti-aliasing has brought my PC to its knees I suffered a 20%-25% drop in frame rates.Strange. I assume you have the Ti4600? Have you chosen the 4xS option for anti-aliasing within the additional nVidia properties as opposed to setting it within FS?Within FS I have Mip Mapping enabled but AA is disabled. Driver version is 6.13.10.3082. What screen res are you running at? I'm at 1280*960*32 on the primary and 1280*1024*32 on the secondary.Within the BIOS have you set the AGP Aperture value to 128Mb as suggested?Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest Stamatis

Ray,I assume you have the Ti4600?No, I have a Hercules Prophet III Titanium 200Have you chosen the 4xS option for anti-aliasing within the additional nVidia properties as opposed to setting it within FS?Yes, I recently found out that this is the only way one can enable anti-aliasing when running FS in Windowed mode, like I do.Within FS I have Mip Mapping enabled but AA is disabled.Same here.What screen res are you running at?1280x1024x32Within the BIOS have you set the AGP Aperture value to 128Mb as suggested?Yes.RegardsStamatis

Hi Stamatis,No, I have a Hercules Prophet III Titanium 200Ah, I wonder if that is making the difference. The 200 suggests it's a slower RAMDAC which could account for the big hit on frame rates.Given that's the only difference I suspect it's down to the card. Hand in pocket time perhaps? :-(Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest Stamatis

"Hand in pocket time perhaps? :-)"Hehe, no, I think I can live w/o these drivers for the time being.Stamatis