Sign in to follow this  

The video card makes the difference!

Because of problems I have been having running ms2002 I finally decided it was time to replace my geforce II card to see if it would help. I bought a Visiontek Geforce4 Ti4200 with 128 megs yesterday-what a difference-all the difference!Before-constant blurries within a minute of flight-now none-I can even see the blurrs way in the distance filling in before I get to them. In other words-blurries solved!Total smooth panning in vc mode and nearly instant side views in 2d.Sharpness and visual effect is nearly photo real now-I can not believe the difference.Everything now in the visual display running at the max-everything!(before lots of features like water turned off)-and getting much,much smoother flight on top of it. Only problem now-in 1280 res can't seem to access the menus in 3d mode-have to switch to 2d.I had almost lost interest in using the sim at all because of problems, blurries, and jerkiness. Now the interest is back! http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/Geofdog2.gif

Geof - Are you using XP with SP1 installed? If so, either turn off the FSAA or set it to 4X and the menu bar will be OK in fullscreen mode. It looks like there is a driver issue with the GF4's and SP1. Good choice on the video card. (And, don't forget, almost any 4200 will run at 275/550 (4400 clock speed), or higher, with no added cooling needed.)TripNorthwood 2.2a at 2.72Ghz Abit TH7II-R512MB Samsung 40ns PC800Gainward 64MB GF4 Ti4200 300/57040.41's DX8.1 WinXP ProInwin case / Enermax 431W PSU3DMark2001SE = 13089http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4330740

Guest PhilC

Geof,Was that the Visiontek XTasy card?I'm returning the ATI 9700 Pro that I just bought. I could never get it working with my system, so I'm shopping again. I appreciate your comments here and it looks like I may finally give a GF card a try.Is this the best recommendation for now?Oh, and one more thing. How about the 275W power supply requirement? Is that a fact or just as a guideline? I believe my PS is either 200W or 250W.

Thanks for the report Geof. I'm still running a GF2mx 32mb and have been eyeing the GF4's. I saw some good prices on them at Best Buy but didn't make the leap as I was unsure as to how much of a performance increase I could expect. I am having the same issues you were with your gf2 but it's hard to justify that kind of money just to fix some blurries and view load times. Try explaining that to your wife hehe.Gene Bordelon :-wave

Guest georgi55

Ouch....that gotta hurt a little...I got TI4400 for $199 from gameve.com more than 3 weeks ago.From next time, I suggest you to try using online shopping, its defenately worth itand if you are worried about teifts you can always make 2nd credit card and put certain ammount of money in itthat is only enough to buy something you are looking at.

Guest georgi55

I can say that eVGA GF4 TI4400 is an AWESOME card. As above, I got it from gameve.com more than 3 weeks ago and it's simply amaizing.Edit: BTW, I run it on little low 250W and have no problems at all.

Guest Jeff S KDTW

I suppose it is a matter of nickle and diming. Buy a few add in aircraft and sceneries and it adds up to. The difference is the card is used all the time-the addin's sometimes!I was actually going to wait also except the sim was unusable. I went for 3 weeks without using it and decided it was worth the $ if the sim came back. Now the sim performs in all its glory (which I was not seeing before), the planes fly with control and smoothness, and the visual effects knock me out not to mention I can see the scenery and not a dull blurr. I have to say in the scheme of things this "add on" brought me more pleasure than many of the others which by nickle and diming cost as much! ;) I am figuring I can hold on to the 1.4 athlon until the next version of ms, it performs so well now.http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/Geofdog2.gif

Guest emergency_pants

Thanks for the info Geof.I have a GF2 MX400 64bm here and have had my eye on the GF4 Ti200 for a little while (since they finally got released here in the UK).Following your recommendation, I think I'll make the buy next payday! (If the bills stay away for that long!! ;)) The Ti400 is just a little out of my wallet's reach at the moment. Got to make some compromises, eh?Cheers,Simon.

Just purchased a TI4200 64 meg eVGA from their own website and I found them to be competitive to gameve. I just feel better going directly to the manufacturer in case of issues. Price was $143.00 USshould be here in a day or so. I did buy the TI4200 128 at Best Buy for 179 rebate included but my FS locked up continuously. I was getting much better performance with my GF2 MX400, so I tweaked and tweaked until I had enough so I returned it. I hope my luck will be better with the eVGA ,since I heard these cards kick butt .... I am running a 1.9 Gig 512 SRAM intel board XP Home SP1 .

Me too. My Voodoo 5 gives up the ghost after about five minutes and I love to see the scenery.Thanks for encouragement Geoff, and I'll mention your name when the Wife sees the credit card Bill :).PH