Sign in to follow this  
Guest PhilipManwaring

Is a stall speed below 103 kts IAS realistic for a DC9-

I flew an approach with a DC9-30, originally designed for FS2000, and forgot to retract the speedbreaks. This resulted in a rapid loss of airspeed on final. As I was not aware of the activated speedbreakes I was anxiously watching the speedo going down 110...106...105...103, always awaiting the stall warning, but nothing happened!Touchdown was below 103, full flaps, activated spoilers, approx. 25 - 30 % fuel.I also once made a landing with an ad-on 737-400 (spoilers retracted) at aboust 104 kts IAS. My question: is this realistic? Regards,Wolfgang

well what u just said is highly unrealisticif that was in the real worldthe pilots would have heard long while back"woop woop stall ... woop woop stall""woop woop pull up ... woop woop pull up""terrain terrain pull up ... "

Let's hope in the real world you will never be in a situation like this :-)Kitty MercuryCathay Pacific Virtual Pilot (CX252)

Actually, if the speed card I am looking at is correct, then you are completely wrong.A DC9-41, landing weight 30 tons, with 50 degrees of flaps, has a Va (approach speed) of 110 kts and a Vth (threshold speed) of 105 knots - therefore it is possible to have a stall speed below 103 knots. However, flaps 50 is not used anymore due to noise abatement. Normal flaps for approach and landing is either 40 or 25 (for one engine out landing)

Guest PhilipManwaring

Yes, but speed brakes cause a dramatic loss of lift on the wing, so the published stall speed at normal angle of attack wouldn't apply here.