Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jeff S KDTW

What is Bravo Airspace?

Guest Dominik Mann

I usually do not fly VFR in FS, but when I do so (such as to check out a newly downloaded airplane :-) ) I will be presented with this option in the ATC menu shortly after takeoff.Thanks!

Guest Dominik Mann

:-lol No...the option "request permisson to transition Bravo airspace" .

If you look at a sectional chart (some are included in fs2002) some of the larger airports are surrounded by a thick blue circle...or series of circles. within the circles, you will find some numbers... one over another (looks like a fraction). If a circle has a number like 46/18, that means the space within that circle covers from 1800 feet agl to 4600 ft agl. Now, what this means, is between these altitudes, you may not enter that airspace unless you are cleared specifically by atc. Basically , the space is reserved for arriving and departing flights to congested airports... hope i've helped.

Guest Jeff S KDTW

Just a quick clarification:The numbers that designate the height of the Bravo Airspace are in MSL, not AGL. The only height you'll see listed in there that is AGL is the designation "SFC", which means surface. Where you see that as the bottom of the fraction, the airspace extends from the surface to whatever the top number is, MSL.-Rob

Guest JeanLuc_

Hi,you can also depict the Airspaces in your current location with Reality XP GPS. You can try the free demo for the Meigs - Oshkosh area and have a glimpse of the airspaces around this place.Hope this helps!

Guest DreamFleet

"Bravo" airspace is one of several airspace classes, which are: A B, C, D, E, and G.Bravo airspace is essentially what was formerly known as the TCA, Terminal Control Area, the inverted wedding cakes of controlled airspace found in congested areas such as NY, LA, BOS, etc. It will be depicted with the thick blue lines on the sectional. Keep in mind, that as an inverted "wedding cake", that you can legally fly under portions of it, depending on where the floor of it is. In other areas, around the airport(s)it serves, it goes right to the ground. If you climb high enough (7,000+' in New York for example), you can fly right over it, and yes, that means right over JFK, EWR, and LGA, without issue. Of course, if you are VFR, that would mean either 7,500' or 8,500'.In essence, it is controlled airspace that you will need a clearance to fly in / through, whether IFR or VFR."Charlie" airspace is essentially the old ARSA (some of those are still around too!). Still controlled airspace, but you do not necessarily need a clearance to fly in / through it, but as with Bravo airspace, you will need to contact a controller before entering it. It "looks" like the Bravo airspace, but is shown with thick magenta lines on the sectional."Delta", mostly the old airport Control Zones around towered / controlled airports. You'll need to speak with the tower before flying in / through."Echo", just about everything else, and on VFR charts this is easily identified by the blue and magenta floor boundaries at 700 and 1200' AGL. You'll see the magenta boundaries around many un-controlled airports that have instrument approaches associated with them."Golf", uncontrolled airspace, and living in the Northeast USA, we have none of it that I can see on the charts!"Alpha" (thought I forgot?), this is the old "Positive Control" airspace above 18,000'. You need to be on an IFR clearance / flight to be in here.Just the bare bones basics here, and I've left lots of details out!Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F..._FORUM_LOUd.jpg

Guest Jeff S KDTW