Sign in to follow this  
Guest GZR_Frenchy

Flying old Warbirds in FS2002

Guest InBetween

Greetings, simmersBeing a modeller of plastic aircraft kits from the time ofmy tender youth, I seem to approach flight simming from thisearlier viewpoint.I fly all of the default CFS2 aircraft (and add-ons) in thecivilian world of FS2002, as if they had been restored byenthusiasts, and find it to be a lot of fun :DI usually fly the GA aircraft with VC's anyway, so the old warbirds just add that much more variety...I suspect I am not alone in this pastime? What do others think?JR

I'm a big fan of the 1% planes myself. I haven't really taken the time to add lights, though. I even added a few AI tracks for the old birds.

Guest Eagle92395

LOVE the old radials! Who can resist that throaty sound and raw sound of horsepower those planes show off??? My favorite... P-47!! The P-51 from Reno Air Race package is almost a perfect model too, what an airplane :) BTW, my uncle's machining company in Texas participated in the restoration of two of the very few remaining P-51D's around, I believe they worked on the landing gear restoration. Cool huh??

Guest Coneman

I guess I'm kind of a simming ###### (hmmmm, there's a call sign!), cause I enjoy flying just about everything. But I also enjoy porting CFS2 aircraft into FS. Some are more successful than others. Recently tried the A6M5 and found it uncontrollable on the ground. The Blue Arrow P-38 and Gryphon Mossie are two favorites. Also the Ground Crew He-111 is just incredible.Cheers,Todd

I trust that you will like my B17G when it is released.

Guest 727Fan

Ah yes, some other folks for the Warbirds!I am a warbird flyer also. From my young years, my father's Luscombe (N1181B) was parked near a hangar with a WW2 vet's Navy SNJ and P-51D Mustang. I became very familiar with them and the passion continues today.I have only been able to get the CFS2 defaults and repaints to work in FS. The A6M is a little tricky on the ground, but I think that's because it's so light. And yeah, I'm a VC-only flyer. Sliding the canopy back and cruising at 6000' is a lot of fun! Brawny P&W R2800 radials and silky turbocharged Allisons sound sweet! I probably fly the Warbirds 50% of the time. If you use them as AI, the landing is worth watching. In real life the gear would collapse Although the NAVY aircraft certainly were designed for the crash landings.But how did you get the nav lights on them? I need that technology so I can fly them at night!ThanksRick

Guest Coneman

Probably not as much as you do, Herbie G.

Guest InBetween

All of the default flyable aircraft in CFS2 work fine for me in FS2002, with minor changes to the aircraft cfg. files..Using the aircraft cfg. for the F4U Corsair(included wFS2002)asa model, open it with NotePad along side of any of default ones.With both files open side by side, change the CFS2 cfg.'s so thatthey have the same "section" titles as the Corsair. Do this after flying the CFS planes at least once in FS2002, so the .air file will update the cfg. before you edit it. For example, CFS cfg.shave no "forcefeedback" section, but require one for FS2002 ifyou have FFB joysticks.I found this out with trial/error methods, which is how to do the lights as well: Using the "aircraft geometry" section data, make close guesses on the coordinates for the "lights" section. Copy the "lights" section from the default Cessnas for a head start.So far I have lights(including VC at night) for these AC:Lockheed P-38Grumman WildcatGrumman HellcatAM5 and AM6 ZeroN1K GeorgeThe Wildcat and Lightning also have wing vortices whenpulling "G"s :DHope I am not too long winded and confusing :?If there is interest I could put all the cfg.s in a ZIPfor upload?JR

JR,zip them up. :-)These old warbirds look great in FS2002 - with all the lights and effects. And with 1%-airfiles they fly great, too! I even use some of them as AI on smaller airfields.Claudius

Guest InBetween

Have just uploaded the Wildcat effects tonight, lookfor ICFX004.zip to appear soon in the library...Includes FS2002 lights, engine exhaust flame/smokeand wingtip and flap vortices..shown in screenshotsat the head of this thread, and all controlled by XMLgauges automatically:DThanks to all who responded, and to CKFLY for the final push!JR

Guest GZR_Frenchy

S! You may like some of my stuff. Scenery -- mostly. Late WWII drawn to maps. Most of it is CFS2 stuff. Version 1.0 is CFS2. Version 2.5 will fit both CFS2 and Fs2002 with nothing needed to go between the sims by the the user.GZR_Base2002 is where it starts. Oh, yeah. You will need Gerrish Grays Version 3 trees.WWII in Fs2002 -- only thing is you can't shoot.Opps, almost forgot. You can get most of them right here at Avsim.Frenchy -- out.

Guest Coneman

Oh crap Frenchy, I didn't even think of using your scenery in FS.:-eek What a dolt! Thanks for the heads up :-)Todd

Guest InBetween

Greetings,I have zipped up the effects shown in this threadfor the CFS2 Wildcat: radial engine exhaust flame,engine smoke, wing vortices, and flap vortices...Available in the Library under FS2002 Miscellaneous(they only work in FS2002), are controlled by XMLgauges and are customizable...Effects for two other AC, the Swordfish(FS2002) by GDGand OV-10 Bronco by Tim Conrad, are also available:)JR

Guest GZR_Frenchy

Hehe. Actually, they all work in Fs2002. Some may have a conflict with the stock Fs2002 scenery provided by M$. There is small Lat/Long difference between the two sims. You will get error messages in some of the Version 1 sceneries where I used actual CFS2 object macros. Fs2002 will advise of missing scenery objects just click right through them and it will work just fine. If there is place you would like to fly that gives a problem just tell me which scenery and I will upgrade it to Version 2.5 status. Also, I have a made a slew of Water Bases for Fs2002. Just haven't uploaded many.It does give a whole different look to the sim. Frenchy -- out.