Sign in to follow this  

simharry's new box

Just some observations I noted running FS2002 on my beefed up system.System Benchmark:CPU: Pentium III 866MHzMotherboard: DFI CA64-TCRAM: 1.25GB SDRAM PC133Graphics Card: MSI G4MX440Hard Drives: Western Digital 30GB 7200rpm Fireball 20GB 5400rpmMonitor: Gateway EV700OS: Windows XP Homenotes:first note about running fs on this system is frame rates had all sliders to max and display on max settings and encountered steady performace at 17FPS (no reason to believe it won't run any smoother at 17+FPS if i turned it up).Encounter serious slowdowns at the airports or wherever AI traffic showed in large numbers. FPS averaged about 6FPS.Encountered serious slowdowns flying over the English Channel near Dover and Calais. Also hit a slowdown northeast of Boston (i've been doing a lot of trans-atlantic flying). Frame rate slowed to about 2FPS.Managed to get FS to restart the OS. It occured while slewing over France with add-on terrain mesh (FS2000) turned on.other than that everything runs smooth.Comments are welcomed.

At airports you have buildings, which = polygons, textures, etc. The AI places more workload on your pc which causes the slow down. Remember the sims is now calculating what's going on with those little AI brains and it's also pushing more polyons due to the number of AI planes. These planes may be moving so the PC has to update the locations of each moving ac. Also the complexity of the scenery will affect your frame rates. Textures have to be allocated and loaded into memory, yadda, yadda, yadda.Remember your PC can only swap things in and out of memory so fast. Also slewing causes things to happen aggressively quick. I suspect your restart was the result of the sim getting ahead of the machine casusing it to say "forget this" reset! Could also be other things in there the system did not like.Just my limited input; I'm sure there are others, who know more about the inner workings of FS, that can give you better insights.--T

thanks i've been trying too scheme around that; i've been using 16 bit colors and radomizing the gate order at airports i re-did to get them spread around the airport better.