Sign in to follow this  
RobertVA

Has anyone seen this before?

Guest C17SimGuy

What is the "line" running through the middle of the sky? Any help on how to get rid of it? Thnks!-drew

Hi Drew,Yep, I can explain what you're seeing, but unfortunately, there isn't a way that I know of to get rid of it. Look at the below diagram. FS has two different bitmaps that are perpendicular to one another that give the appearance of the ceiling and the horizon. Since these two bitmaps collide at 90 degrees, you see a straight line. This explaination holds true when you have overcast conditions in the game, yet can still see blue on the horizon.Hope this give at least some insight.Regards,Owen

It resembles a tall sky blue wall in the distance. I think you are literaly seeing too far and seeing a blue background beyond the radius where the simulator is displaying scenery and clouds.I am suspecting the clouds are getting obstructed at your visability radius. If this is the case, reducing the visability would make the top of the "wall" appear at a "higher" angle above the horizon. If the visability is set close enough it produces odd effects as buildings and terrain suddenly pop in and out of view (sometimes partialy) at the visability radius.This effect is supposed to be obscured by haze/fog. Some video cards fail to generate the haze/fog when BOTH the card setup (in the Windows advanced display settings) and Flight Simulator's display settings have Fog effects enabled. On my system disabling the fog in the Windows advanced display settings allowed the proper haze effect to operate in Flight Simulator.

Guest C17SimGuy

Huh. I have a Leadtek Gf4 w 30.82 drivers. Where is the advanced display settings you are talking about? Under D3D settings? Huh. I figured that this vidcard wouldn't have any problems like this. :-(-drew

On Windows 95 or Windows 98 you should be able to right click on your desktop and select "Properties" from the context menu. Then click the "Settings" tab. Clicking the "Advanced..." button in the lower right corner brings up a second dialog for the video card's properties. The General, Adaptor, and Monitor tabs are standard from installing Windows. I don't know if the procedure is different in Windows ME or XP.When the drivers for most cards are installed a variety of tabs are added to the video card's properties dialog. Some video card drivers add tabs for Color Management, OpenGL, and Direct3D. On my system turning off the "Table Fog Support" on the "Direct 3D" tab allowed the fog /haze to display. The change is easy to reverse, but the fog / haze works better on my system with it off. I am using a ATI Rage Fury video card with 32 MB of RAM on it. Driver version 4.13.7192. Windows 98 (non SE).