Sign in to follow this  
Francois_Dumas

Wonder mesh 0 Lago UK

Hello folks,Been a lurker in this forum for over a year but now I thought I'd join in the fun. This is my first post!!!!What's got me posting is the new scenery mesh by Lago for the UK. Most of my flying is via a Cessna 172 VFR around the UK. So I've always wanted the best mesh available. First I used a freewhere mesh before moving onto the brilliant offering by Visual Flight. I've also got a payware UK landclass file installed. However last night I purchased the LAGO Terramesh for the UK (for a stunning price of 5 Euros) and the difference is amazing. There's a village I know very well in West Yorkshire called Marsden. On the approach the A62 road curls around a hill. This hill has never appeared in any mesh I've used. It's there now. Secondly I took a flight to Snowdonia, to the Llanberis pass where I recently went on holiday, my jaw dropped. The distant hills looked just like they did on my holiday snaps. Okay so now it looks like this is a cheap advert for Lago. But it's not. I have no connection with the company. I just wanted to praise the scenery they have released, it is amazingly details. And for about $5 how could you possibly complain. Stunning.A big hello to everyone by the way, been reading in here for ages. About time I posted. :-)

Very interesting! Is it necessary to uninstall the Visual Flight scenery before adding the Lago UK mesh, or can it be used in conjunction with Visual Flight UK stuff?Many thanks

Guest Lizardo

I can't...but since I have the Visual Flight CD anyway, I just uninstalled it. Now both Lago UK + Scotland, and it's all they say it is.

I'd like to add my 'vote' too - best of the UK meshes I have tried. I reached this conclusion within minutes of my first flight with it - saw landscape features around the east of Winchester, like St Catherines hill, which are either non-existant or unrecognisable in the others. And it's outstanding value at only 5 euros/3 quid!Well done Lago.Cheers, John.4m NW of EGHI (Southampton UK)FS2002 Standard on Intel PIII 733 MHz, 256MB with 32M GeForce2MX graphics and Windows ME.

Thanks for your help guys. Will go ahead and purchase from Lago.

Yes, we all know it's an advert for LAGO because it's your first post.Prince Harry :-lol

>Yes, we all know it's an advert for LAGO because it's your >first post. I'll prove to you it is not:-) Would you believe me if I told you the Ireland/Scotland mesh is seen from a price/quality aspect the least attractive of the TerraMesh series? There are two inherent problems with the mesh of this section.In Scotland our mesh is terrific as we had our normal set of source data that we could interpolate to the data used for the mesh (don't take my word for it but I believe we used three sets of data, you have NO idea how different altitude data for each geographical location can be...). The problem in Scotland is that some of the lakes in FS2002 have an altitude that is just dead wrong. This causes lakes to be positioned on platforms. Other lakes that are very long (like Loch Ness) seem to have problems with the curvature of the earth. They seem to be 'flat' causing the ends to have problems with connecting to the surrounding. In the normal mesh this is hidden in the 'roughness' but in our detailed mesh you will see the shoreline can be on a different altitude and platforms can be seen in some locations. As always we do not adapt our mesh to suit the 'problems' to make further development possible. Fs2002 is a simulator and should be as close to the real world as possible.Ireland is more problamatic. For civil use, even if you spend a lot of Irish pounds you will not get the data we needed. If you are willing to spend a heck of lot of pounds (or are programming cruise missiles) you get the data you need. So we had to work with less raw data on Ireland then we had to do for any other part of the TerraMesh series. In areas where the terrain is 'flowing' this is no problem at all, but in some areas (near the coasts) where there are small, steep mountains we get side effects. There are some cliffs that should not be there and some 'piramide' hills that should be much smoother. Mind you, in standard FS2002 there would be NO hill, NO mountain, just flat terrain so it is still an huge improvement. Still, in 90% or Ireland the mesh makes the difference between flat and undulated terrain (in an in FS2002 this decides if you see boring fields or a landscape where textures are different!). That is why decided to release this section of mesh. The comparison should always be with default FS2002 or with our competitors. And for $5 (just over 3 UK Pounds) we have nothing to fear in that aspect. Best value in the TerraMess series? Nothern Spain... The amount of moutains you there is incredible:-) In mesh files the case is very simple... the more bytes you get per square mile, the better the mesh will be.Mathijs KokLAGo Concepts & Developments

It's just that it was his first post on Avsim! and he used the name Harry! Seeemed to me to be a little obvious! The minute i get this up and running I'm doing a review.The official currency in Ireland is the Euro!I have great respect for you Mathijs and the work that you do.Ordering the Scotland/Eire as well thanks!

Mathijs,Are you intending to do a mesh for Australia. Being a relatively afluent country we have our share of Flightsimmers.Looking forward to your reply,Chris Porter:-outtaPerthWestern Australiahttp://www.fsd-international.com/images/FSD_beta_tester.jpg[h3] FSD Aircraft "Around the world" flight.Now at LIMJ (Genoa) Italy[/h3]Intel Pentium IV 2.26GHz(533)512K L2 Cache NorthwoodIntel D850EMV2-LAN P4 (533MHz FSB)Kingston/Samsung 256MB PC-800 RAMBUS, x 2 (512Mb)MSI-8872 GeForce4 Titanium 4600 128MB DDRPioneer 16x DVD , 40x CD-ROM Tray Load ATA 66Hyundai -ImageQuest P910+, 19" Multi-Scan Digital MonitorIBM Deskstar 60GXP, 60GB HDD IDEAOpen QF50 Midi ATX Case with 300W P4 ATX Power SupplyHercules Game Theater XP, 6.1 speakers Dolby

>Are you intending to do a mesh for Australia. Being a >relatively afluent country we have our share of >Flightsimmers. With Switserland (41,290 sq km)running into 50 Mb... How large do you think TMS Australia (7,686,850 sq km) would be?Calculators being whipped out of pockets.... hummmmmm.... tap tap somewhere around .. tap tap tap, 9,5 gigabyte. Ahum.... Devide that into the sections we are used to do... 190 sections at $5 each... makes $950 (the US kind). Of course this data is over the top, and if we find suitable small regions with high density population and good mountains/hills, we might consider it (but we need three separate sources of mesh data to make it look real good).Mathijs