Sign in to follow this  

What should I set in my Monitor Refresh Rate for a DELL

Guest HeavyFan

Hi guy's, I wanted to know what i should set my Monitior Refresh rate at?? I read some threads that some guy's say to set it at Optimal, or 85, or even at 100?? I have a Dell 8200 P4,1.7Ghz machine, and i never changed this setting before on my system, but i know it is set at Optimal in the menu?, And i can set it at 100 or 85, what should i do? I tried to change it, but got a message that "it might damage my Monitor" or it might not run properly at a setting other that what it is set at which is "Optimal"?? I want to Improve FS Some or test it to see if it helps my FPS, but I cancled the setting because i got scared of that message! So can someone give me some advice on if i should leave it where it's at, or change it to the 85 or 100 setting?, it is also a 17inch monitor! I have a Ge Force2 MX400 32MB card, i know it might not help any, but unitl i get a better card I want to try this refresh rate thingy to see if it helps at all! I apprecite the Info on this from all you computer guru's out there! HEHE thank's MIKE-:)

Firstly, your monitor refresh rate has no impact on your FS frame rate. Only if you were to run at an FPS greater than the monitor refresh rate and had vertical sync on would the refresh be a limiting factor, but then you'd either be running on hardware that won't be available for at least a couple of years or your FS display settings would be such that they produced ridiculously low quality.Secondly, if your video card and monitor have their proper drivers installed, the Optimal setting will give you the fastest refresh rate for any given display resolution that your hardware officially supports. If your display doesn't flicker noticably when looking at the desktop, don't change anything.If you insist on experimenting with this setting, it's unlikely that anything will break. Today's monitors simply switch off when fed a display that they cannot handle. But don't blame me if your monitor fries! ;-)

Guest HeavyFan

Hmm thank's for the Reply! Well I don't have flickering on and off Texture's! But i was just curious beacuse i read in a diffrent forum that a guy had like Buildings and textures in FS act like they are Jello looking in FS, that is kind of what i get when accelrating down the unways in FS,just think of the HEat effect off Ashfault, that is how it looks in FS, maybe it might be my slow Vid card, or I need more Ram, but a guy replied that the refresh rate might solve the problem, So that's why i am asking for opions on this, But I will half to hear more feedback on this!, As I don't want to fry my Monitor Either! Thanks again for your input! MIKE-:)

Guest HeavyFan

hmmm, anybody got more advice on this! MIKE-:)

I always run mine on optimal. Last time I checked that meant the best. The most important thing is to make sure your monitor drivers are installed and that the correct monitor is being recognized in the device thingie.