Sign in to follow this  

Geforce 4...which model??

Between the 4200, 4400, and 4600 is there really that big of a difference to warrant getting a 4600?? I only really play fsim on the computer as well as NHL sometimes. I have a Geforce 2 Ultra now so its time for an upgrade!!Thanks,Chris

I upgraded to a Geforce 3 Ti (64 DDR) from a Geforce 2 MX (32Mb) and I saw no change in frame rates or picture quality. FS2002 does not use all the features of the card, and I wasted money for nothing. If anything, upgrade your mother board and CPU...My two cents worth...Cheers

I've got the MX440 and the grafics are very good, unfortunately it's also got the "jaggies" and i can't readily make them go away in fs so i have to get into the files do some tweaking. I think the 4600 has an option you can just select and make the "jaggies" go away. Compared to my previous card (Voodoo 5 PCI) this one is little less prettier.

Hey, I upgraded to an ASUS GeForce 4 Ti4400 in August. Awesome card! I assume you are in Canada by your nic... if you are anywhere near Toronto the best place that I found to purchase video cards (or anything PC for that matter is Canada Computers http://www.canadacomputers.com/Just make sure you have a fast processor and lots of fast RAM. I also upgraded to an Athlon XP2000 and 512 MB of PC2700 RAM... expensive but worth it!The Ti4400 is now CDN$329John-PaulToronto

Guest brewmaster

I just got a new Geforce 4 ti4200 128mb DDR and can not belive how much it has helped. Frame rates have not gone up very much however textures are much cleaner and crisper. I got an MSI card from www.Newegg.com for about $170US. They have incredibly low prices and pay shipping on most items. I highly recommend them.Brewmaster

Guest brewmaster

One other thing I fogot to add. I ultimately decided to go with a ti4200 because it did not seem like there would be much of a difference in performance. Both cards have the same chipset (from what I understand anyway) and it is easy to overclock the 4200 to similar performace as the 4600. Save the extra cash and put it towards upgrading your CPU. That of course will get you the most performance increase.Brewmaster

Brewmaster has it exactly right. I'd opt for the 4200 (in fact, I did :-) ). Unless your CPU is 2.5+Ghz you will never notice the difference between a 4200 and a 4600 when running FS2002 - and even then the difference is nowhere near the added cost (maybe a 5% incease in framerate at more than double the cost). As the cards are functionally identical except for the clock speeds, you'll get all the rendering capabilities available no matter which model you choose.TripNorthwood 2.2a at 2.72Ghz Abit TH7II-R512MB Samsung 40ns PC800Gainward 64MB GF4 Ti4200 300/57040.41's DX8.1 WinXP ProInwin case / Enermax 431W PSU3DMark2001SE = 13089http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4330740

another question....when shopping around, i notice alot of different brand names for the same product. for example, i can find the nVidia ti4400 card under names like JATON, Inno3d, MSI, etc...is there a difference?thxchris

I'm going to get a 4200 soon but I'm wondering if (thinking of MSFS2002 performance only) if a 3.5 (or 3.3) ns 64mb card is better for MSFS than a 4ns 128mb card?I see you have the 64mb variety from Gainward. Is it a 3.5, 3.3 (Golden Sample)? Did you weigh your choice on price, ram speed or ram amount, etc?I guess the bottom line is if anyone knows if MSFS (running under XP) will take advantage of the extra 64mb on a 128 card, or does the faster 64mb get you better overall performance on flightsim? Regards,Steve Dra

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Guest georgi55

The difference is very little I would say, and differences are what comes with thwe card (bundled software)and if the card has extra stuff like VIVO (video in video out)I can say that eVGA GF4 TI4400 VIVO is awesome card.As for 4200, 4400 and 4600, I would say go with 4400.I had to make chooice 3 weeks ago to either get 4400 for $199 or 4200 128MB for $169.I chose the 4400 because there were only $30 difference where difference between 4600 and 4400 was over $50.

Mine's a 3.5 Steve. I actually went looking for the GS but this one was so much cheaper ($US129 vs. US$179 for the GS), and since it was primarily for FS2002, that I decided to go with it instead. As FS2002 won't use the extra memory, I had already decided on the 64MB just based on price. The 3.5 will OC better than the 4.0, but for FS2002 that's not much of a consideration. The CPU requirement is so great that, for FS2002 purposes, the memory speed of the GPU almost becomes inconsequential. I believe you will see absolutely no difference in FS2002 between the 128 and 64 MB cards (or the GS vs. non-GS).Trip

Chris - There are two differences which I think are important. The quality of the memory and the longevity of the company who makes the card. Some of the off-brand cards are using memory that's far less than the best quality. And you want a company that's still going to be in business if you need any warranty help/replacement down the road in 2-3 years. Stick with the name brands like Gainward, MSI, PNY, ASUS, ABIT, etc and you'll probably be fine. But I'd stay away from the NewGuyOnTheBlock brands.Trip

thanks guys...i'll keep that all in mind as i continue my search. after finding my current card available online for $33, i realized its time to upgrade.chris

Thanks for the info Trip!I'm going with the 64mb version, I'll let ya know which one I get.Regards,Steve Dra

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg