Sign in to follow this  

Whatever you do! Disable AGP Texturing in Direct-X!

Hey Gang!I don't know if this has been discussed around here or not before, but I have made an interesting discovery. If you go into your Direct-X dialog box, under the Display tab, disable AGP Texturing. As soon as I did this, my frame rates, fluidity, and scenery sharpness increased tremendously. It looks like FS2002 and this function don't mix together very well.Just my 2 cents!Sincerely,Dennis D. Mullert

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

System Specs: Motherboard:  Gygabyte Aorus Z390 Master.  CPU: Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900kf Eight-Core 3.6Mhz overclocked to 5Mhz.  Memory:  64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3200MHZ RGB.  GPU: 11GB GeForce RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid.  Monitor: Viotek 34" curved GNV34DBE.  Power Supply: 1000 Watt Power supply. HD 1: 1TB Samsung 9780 EVO Plus NVMe SSD.  HD 2: 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD

Flight Sim Hardware:  Joystick: Thrustmaster T16000M.  Rudder Pedals: Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Pedals.  Yoke: Honeycomb Alpha.  Throttles: Honeycomb Bravo.

Hi,It seems to be a good solution for many setups, but unfortunately it doesn't work on mine (hercules 4500 64Mb). I believe it must be video card dependant. In my system, what makes a hughe difference is the AGP aperture size in the BIOS setup. If I set it to anything more than 64Mb, my FS2002 turns into a slideshow. Any value equal or less to 64 makes it fluid again.Paco

Yeah, my experience is that although it may seem faster at first, you're really kidding yourself. Check the available resolutions inside Fs2002 display options and you will find you have lost some. I wonder if this is only an advantage for those people who have not got fast-writes working properly. Otherwise, the card will always prioritise its on-board memory anyway. All from me Georgethetee

Yes!That's it!Sincerely,Dennis D. Mullert

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

System Specs: Motherboard:  Gygabyte Aorus Z390 Master.  CPU: Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900kf Eight-Core 3.6Mhz overclocked to 5Mhz.  Memory:  64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3200MHZ RGB.  GPU: 11GB GeForce RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid.  Monitor: Viotek 34" curved GNV34DBE.  Power Supply: 1000 Watt Power supply. HD 1: 1TB Samsung 9780 EVO Plus NVMe SSD.  HD 2: 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD

Flight Sim Hardware:  Joystick: Thrustmaster T16000M.  Rudder Pedals: Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Pedals.  Yoke: Honeycomb Alpha.  Throttles: Honeycomb Bravo.

Hi,Can you guys provide your specs when posting regarding this subject. It seems it helps some and not others. I would like to see if it is related to particular hardware.Thanks, AMD 1600XP @ 1800XP 1.50 (10.5 X 143)EPOX 8KHA+ VIA KT266A 1GB INFINEON PC2100 DDR (2x512)Leadtek GF4 4400 A250 TDIBM 60GB ATA100 7,200RPMQuantum 20GB 5,400RPMSB LIVE 512V350 Watt PSUWINDOWS XP PROGood judgment comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement.

HI Dennis,Long time no talk!Problem with your headline, understandable though it is, is that you are promoting a setup that is within the confines of your own experience.On my own system, disabling AGP texturing is disastrous and reduces frame rates by half, and creates stuttering where there wasn't before. This is on a system, which as you can imagine has endlessly been fine-tuned, tweaked and optimised tothe nth degree.So the moral of the story Dennis: by all means attract attention with controversial post headlines, as long as you understand that not everyone has the same results!Kind Regards,Rob Young

Guest HeavyFan

I second What ROB just said! On a my system which is a P4, 1,7 GHZ Dell machine, by disabling AGP in my Direct X, my FPS goes down real bad in Spot view, and alot of stutters during the flight, which i never got before!, So seems to be depend on what system, and specs you have that makes this work for some guy's! But for me it's a No NO!! Oh well, MIKE

Guest groundpounder75

FS crashed on me 3 times today since I have changed this. I never have any problems with FS crashing. Thanks anyways.

Guest Fortress

I'd go eay on him Rob & Heavy,..note how he uses the words "I" and "my", not 'you' and 'yours'Paul

http://www.strontiumdog.plus.com/Fortress.gifVoted Best Virtual Airline of 2002 and Best CEO of 2002 by participants in the BIG VA Vote organized by FSPILOT.comVANF "Best" New Virtual Airline AwardOfficially licenced by British Airways plc for use of name and logohttp://www.strontiumdog.plus.com/saint_georgex1.gif

Guest Edam

Good points about listing system specs along with these "tweaks" though. It's similar to the fs2002.cfg editing, etc. There are too many different systems out there to consider. What works for one may be negative to another. For what it's worth, turning AGP texturing off seemed to have a positive effect on mine:Pentium 4 2.26 ghz512 RDRAMGeForce TI-4200Soundblaster PCI 512Win XP Home

Guest Fortress

Yeah - absolutely agree Edam, and it's nice for someone to point out something else we could try to improve our hobby!Cheers,Paul

http://www.strontiumdog.plus.com/Fortress.gifVoted Best Virtual Airline of 2002 and Best CEO of 2002 by participants in the BIG VA Vote organized by FSPILOT.comVANF "Best" New Virtual Airline AwardOfficially licenced by British Airways plc for use of name and logohttp://www.strontiumdog.plus.com/saint_georgex1.gif