Sign in to follow this  
Johan_Dees

Why hardware related are OK but other posts are not?

Guest georgi55

Kind a cross post from: http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/DCForumID56/419.html#4I think all hardware related issues (which one should I buy? Which one is best? My video card won't work.) SHOULD be in Hardware forum.I dont wanna go into MSFS forum and see that 15% of messagaes are hardware related.This of course excludes problems like "AA works in all other games but not in FS2002"I'm talking about asking for video card suggestion and all that - which clearly belongs in hardware forum.I just dont get it. Why other forums are stirctly maintained to be on-topic posts (and thats why I love AVSIM),and only MSFS forum is allowed to have all kinds of hardware related questions when hardware forum exists?If you post off-topic (real flight, other games, etc - posts that belong to Hangar forum) in MSFS,its deleted/locked and you are notified but if you post hardware it stayes there.So thats why I sugges all hardware realted topic except when problem appears ONLY in MSFS should go to hardware forum.Waht do you think?

I disagree... I have learned an incredible amount about hardware from reading this forum over the past couple of years. Thanks to all of those who readily share their knowledge!! Post something in the Hardware forum and see how many people actually read it... This is the high-traffic forum with the most exposure. You'd be surprized what you might learn!! It doesn't take that long to sift through what you aren't interested in... (yes, in Canada we spell 'surprised' with a Z)John-PaulToronto

Guest Jeff S KDTW

I agree with you, John-Paul. I'll add that almost all of these "hardware" posts are clearly labelled and, thus, easy to skip over if you are not interested.This debate, if you can call it that, has sprung up every so often over the last couple years. In the end, we tend to agree that in many cases, there is not a clear delineation between what is a hardware post and what is a "pure" FS2002 post, so it is fine to keep those posts in the general discussion forum.For me it is a non-issue, I just skip over it if I don't wish to participate or I jump in and learn something new.....although I try to keep that learnin' thing to a minimum. ;-)Regards,http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jsnyder99/sigs/gaphoto.jpg | [LINK:www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?photographersearch=Jeffrey%20L.%20Snyder&distinct_entry=true|AIRLINERS.NET PHOTOS] [link:www.biblegateway.com/bgaudio/english/NIV/Max%20McLean/RM/bgaudio.pl?selection=1|AUDIO BIBLE] ] JEFF_S_KDTW@YAHOO.COM[/font

Seems like no matter where I go in life and what I read, people are regularly looking at the categorization/organization critically...people just love to imagine new organization concepts and set about to create change. If only we grouped messages according to "this" criteria, then it would be excellant! And later, someone else will say, "hey! we should group messages according to "that" criteria" due to the fact that nothing solves everything, and we rarely see downsides of change til we experience life the new way. You see it in business all the time...People talk about how "nowadays we use modern concepts and organization structures", and then I'll read a history of a company and find those ideas employed during the 1890s. Company's wanted to be "vertical" some years back, then "horizontal", now with mergers...we see verticality becoming the goal again.Could the phoenicians have ruled commerce throughout the known world for as long as they did without having developed supply chain management and explored lean thinking? Perhaps matrix management and quality circles? Kan-Bans?I think we have a need to make changes happen, and its more about the process of change than the results of any given change.

Bob, I love ya, you know I do... :-)But what you just wrote flew right over my simple little noggin. Did that end up being for or against keeping this forum "pure" (not that there is such a thing!)?:-)Just thought I'd razz ya today,Elrondhttp://members.rogers.com/eelvish/Boycott-RIAA.gif]"A musician without the RIAA, is like a fish without a bicycle."[/font://http://members.rogers.com/eelvish/B...cle."[/b][/font

Hi Georgi,I think you miss the point of the two forums - from my perspective at least.I see the hardware forum as a place to get help with specific configuration issues that don't have much to do with siming. i.e.: network configs, boot problems, toasted monitors, etc, etc, etc.This FS forum is the most popular forum on AVSIM - one that deals with FS and how to best run it, etc. This includes the best hardware, the latest hardware developments, the best drivers, the latest aircraft, the latest repaints, etc, etc, etc.Lets face it: sims are some of the, if not the most, hardware intensive programs that exist in the computer world. Because of that, it of course is a magnet for the highest end computer users there are in the world as well. Hence, the combination and intense intermingling of the two interests (i.e.: highly interested in both the latest hardware developments and the latest FS developments - as it is the best or at least most popular sim in the world).In my opinion, ripping the two apart would highly dilute the usefulness/utility of this forum. Besides: its not exactly a difficult process to not click on a thread that doesn't particularly interest you, weather thats hardware or FS related. I'm sure we all agree not every thread has interest for every person here, regardless of its focus.Take care,Elrondhttp://members.rogers.com/eelvish/Boycott-RIAA.gif]"A musician without the RIAA, is like a fish without a bicycle."[/font://http://members.rogers.com/eelvish/B...cle."[/b][/font

Guest Paul_W

>I think all hardware related issues (which one should I buy? >Which one is best? My video card won't work.) SHOULD be in >Hardware forum. I disagree, as the others above already have. Actually the discussion on categories has already taken place, though in that case the specific issue involved general subjects being placed in the Hangar Chat forum.>I dont wanna go into MSFS forum and see that 15% of >messagaes are hardware related.I do...and I really enjoy that information. Regardless, the various kinds of hardware, and the best settings and drivers and so forth have a direct link to simulator performance. Hardware is an integral part of the experience.In my own case I had read enough in this and another flight sim forum to be willing to research and build a system myself, and it worked out very well and I shall probably continue to build my own in the future. I learned about some of the best vendors by reading here, and I knew exactly what video card to get. >I just dont get it.It's simply a case of pragmatism versus principle. Most people come here. Any number of hardware topics are posted here by people stating that they want more people to see them.

LOL Elrond ,I thought it was just me But after it flew high over yours it then went even higher over mine before it disapears from view :)I like Hardware questions infact I like all the posts here and if it is not 100% FS2002 I do not go into a dark room and cry alot .I either read it and say "glad I read that" or do not, and say "I wish I had read that"at some time later on.I would really like to know What make of Washing machine you all use But really do not bother with the other FOrums here because i Feel comfortable here at this one .So all that is posted here is all I have to read ,Some is Interesting ,some is not ,I choose what I read at the moment I read the Title and Exept for those who post mystory titles I do not even bother to read it if it does not seem Exiting to me at the title.I hope this full awnser to the question did not make you all wish you had not read this topic in the first place, but that is what it get like here some times and this i feel is all part of the home feel of this Forum and it does not become a cold boring Forum like so many others :)Anniette xxxxxxxxx

I couldn't agree more with you Anniette... Even if I wanted to. :-)Indeed, the diversity of users, ideas and topics is why this forum has been my "online home" for years now - even as my interest in siming waxes and wanes as it does. That is, its my favorite place besides when those threads that attack people and ideals come into vogue for periods of time (uhhhh hem... :-)).If this wasn't such a diverse place, I wouldn't meet such wonderful people as yourself either... That in itself should be reason enough to leave well enough alone.The best to you,Elrondhttp://members.rogers.com/eelvish/Boycott-RIAA.gif]"A musician without the RIAA, is like a fish without a bicycle."[/font://http://members.rogers.com/eelvish/B...cle."[/b][/font

Guest georgi55

Thank you for reply guys - I just wanted to hear what others think.Elrond pointed out some good point:that hardware forum is kind a for troubleshoot, so those question that I mentioned are better fit in MSFS forum.Acutally, now that I heard that point of view, I totally agree with it.So in conclution - those posts that I mentioned are better to be here than hardware forum.Forget about what I posted above ;)

You do bring up a great point though Georgi... The hardware forum should get more exposure than it does. Without lots of exposure, its usefulness declines because if theres few to help with a posted problem, it might go unanswered. The more heads there are on a problem, the higher chance there will be a fix.Whenever there is a configuration related post that doesn't have much to do with FS but is in this forum (I'm guilty of this unfortunately), maybe a polite referral to the hardware forum would indeed be the best bet.I often forget that there even is a hardware forum... Thats something I'll have to try harder to rectify.Take care,Elrondhttp://members.rogers.com/eelvish/Boycott-RIAA.gif]"A musician without the RIAA, is like a fish without a bicycle."[/font://http://members.rogers.com/eelvish/B...cle."[/b][/font

Bob, well, if it is any comfort to you, I understood your point perfectly. As a management weenie myself, I have seen it all before. I would be willing to bet that it goes far beyond the Phoenicians though. I suspect that when Adam and Eve discovered the apple and the snake said "Me bad - you bad", the result forced some organization that neither Adam nor Eve were very happy with and that started what we now know as "organizational schizoids". Something always has to be "fixed". The trouble with that (as it applies to AVSIM) is that in order to fulfill these requests (not just yours Georgi), we would have to employ 84,000 moderators to manage all the forums that would result. The result? All messages would still end up in the most favorite forum (The Snakes Anonymous Forum). :-lol

LOL, having not checked in for a few minutes...I find my friends have been razzin me a bit! Elrond, Alpha, you guys are awesome.....And my point was not in favor of either side..in fact..my point was that it makes no difference...we just enjoy making changes...so it doesn't matter what we have or what we want to change to...we'll just always want to keep changing it.Bob BPS...Tom you made my day...and to Elrond (Aniette, don't know you near as well as Elrond) I say "HAH"! :-))

Heh.Well then... I guess I'll change my mind on my previous post as you so perfectly and succinctly predicted - I'm actually in LOVE WITH TOM!But I'm still quite fond of you too, Bob.Good lord... I need sleep. Lots and lots of sleep.Elrond (the tergiversate! :-scatter)http://members.rogers.com/eelvish/Boycott-RIAA.gif]"A musician without the RIAA, is like a fish without a bicycle."[/font://http://members.rogers.com/eelvish/B...cle."[/b][/font