Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Positive static & dynamic stability

Is there a way to reflect static & dynamic stability in a FS2002 aircraft? That is, of course, the ability of a plane to right itself when letting go of the controls.

In the .air file, there is an entry which will add a dihedral effect to the roll axis, but I can't recall the specific record number..., and I'm out of town today and away from Aired and my home system. Perhaps someone can post the record number. As for pitch, that is more dependent on trim....-John

I will be home in a few hours... I'll locate the record number that I was discussing, and forward it to this thread. As I mentioned, it helps in the roll axis.... Basically, when you enter an appropriate number, neutralizing the stick in the aircraft will allow the wings to return to level flight.Stability in the pitch axis (in FS2002) is a combination of elevator deflection vs. trim settings, and the MOI entries also have an influence in both the roll and pitch axis...I used to fly a 2-axis R/C glider, which just had elevator and rudder. I built so much dihedral into the wing, that a bit of rudder would cause the wing to bank.... After neutralizing the stick, things would settle down. I use to ridge soar for hours using just rudder and elevator.... The aircraft was so stable I could bring it in from behind, into a 10-15 kt wind, and literally "hover" it overhead so I could grab it out of the air, with my hands off of the radio...

Here's the name of the entry in the .air file (as defined in the latest Aired.ini(:Roll Moment-SideslipThe smaller the number, the less dihedral effect.... I usually use a range between 40-200....It's found in section 1101 (Primary Aerodynamics)There is no cooresponding aircraft.cfg entry, so the edit must be done to the .air file-John