Sign in to follow this  

School needs your FS98 and joysticks

Hello,I am a private pilot and a teacher in an elemantary school in California. Recently we were able to get a room for our computer lab and soon, if "gods" approve, we will set it up with some older PII's. Eventually I would like to teach an after school program about the world of flight with strong empahsis on flight simulation. To equip 20-30 computers with Flight Sim 2002 would be to expensive, and FS2002 wouldn't even run on some of them. My idea is to run the FS98 and if you guys and gals have an old copy you would like to donate to a public school that would be great. Also we need joysticks. This idea is still in its infancy, but the infrastructure is there and in order to persuade my Principal that this would be a good after school program I'll need your support. If you would like to doante your old or new working joystick and a legal copy of FS98 please send them to:Haynes Elementary 715 W. Francis Ave.Onatrio, CA 91762Attention: Robert Marianior you can e-mail me at the address robert.mariani@omsd.k12.ca.usThanks in advance.

an EXCELLENT idea!!!! Being in Australia , I can't realistically help out - even though I do have an old copy of FS98 and an old serial joystick. But good luck with your venture .BTW -- I think you are going to need more than 20-30 -- because once those kids find out about this , half of the school is going to stay behind for the extra "class" !! :)Barry

Guest Paul_W

Would a copy of FS 2000 be any good, or would it require more computer power than you have available?

I think the PII wouldn't be enough for FS2000, unless we get new comps soon. (With the budgets today that is highly unlikely). Thanks so much for the offer though.

Hi Robert,I already gave away my copy of FS98; however, I have a copy of Pro Pilot 99 that has been collecting dust for some time. I would be glad to donate if you could use it. The sim has the ability to do aircraft start up and shut down. It also has a nice variety of GA aircraft. Post a message here and let me know.--T

Nice idea Robert, if you can keep the kids' interestthrough the long learning period.Peter Sydney Australia

I haven't used it, but I think the variety of sims will ony enhance the program. I'd love try it. Thank you.Haynes ElementaryAttn: Robert Mariani715 W. Francis Ave.Ontario, CA 91762

Guest guyjr

Wow, this is really a great idea. General Aviation is under more pressure than ever from the media and a paranoid public, and education is definitely going to be key in helping to restore people's confidence in flying. What better way to help than to reach out to those impressionable minds and teach them how planes actually fly.I'd suggest contacting the AOPA (www.aopa.org) as well for help in your venture. I'm sure they'd be able to support you in some way.--Guy Elden Jr.PP-ASEL

Guest etanin

GREAT Idea, I have an FS98 and I'll throw in a FS95 and a serial flight yoke. The only problem with the yoke is the throttle knob is broken but you can still use it. I hope I did not throw it out :(I will check this weekend and will send all I have along with how about some flight books and some charts.I can't think of a better way to clear my shelfs.

Thanks for your support. I am sure we will use it with or without the knob.

Yes aopa will be one of the people I will contact when I get more definite answers and software. Thanks for the idea!

Robert Pro Pilot will be one the way come monday.Good Luck with the project.--T

Hey Rob,I found a copy of FS98, didn't think i had it but "whaalaa" here it is! I dont have the manual that came with it, hope that's not a problem :)Nothing like clearing the shelves and donating to a worthy cause...I'll send it right out.Joe C.aka =Wingnut=

Thanks!I am thrilled with all the positve responses. Thanks again!

Guest Wichita

RobertIs the program a done deal or are you still waiting for approval?David