Sign in to follow this  

School needs your FS98 and joysticks

Guest daves0

Not to be negative, as I think this is a great idea, but I have some thoughts similar to this ..... it sounds as if this is still in the planning stages. Perhaps you should get a "list" of the available resources, how many copies of the sim you will have, sticks, systems, etc etc... present it to your school board, or whomever has to make the decision to allow this venture, then we send the software and hardware. You may end up with a garage full of stuff....What happens to all the stuff if it doesn't get approved? Most of us probably don't care, the shelves are clean, but I would rather have the software being used and not sitting in another box in storage or thrown in the dumpster when there is a possibility of someone else using it, although its obvious that we all have the stuff sitting around useless anyway :)By the way, I have FS98 that I can send.>Robert >>Is the program a done deal or are you still waiting for >approval? >>David

Hello David,The program is almost a done deal. The program itself is not in question, but the setup of the room is what is being discussed. I am fighting for a permanent copmuter lab with 30 or so desktop stations while the people in administration see this more as "convertible" room that will be used as a "resource" center. Even if my proposal to take some aging PII's out of the classrooms, where they are collecting dust, and set them in this new portable room permanently as a lab fails, this "resource" room will have a cart with 20 refurbished laptop PII's that are intended for student use. So in a sense yes, it will work. But I would like to have desktops, and joysticks, and full blown keyboards which are easier to manipulate for students then the laptops with their LCD screens. I'll have 20 computers for sure, and I have the permission to teach an after school program. The fact is the room has just been carpeted and some furniture (desks and such) is being moved in. On a smaller scale I have done something similar, with 6 G.A.T.E. students a few years ago, and a single copy of FSW95 on one computer. After the theory and some paper planes, we tried to land at Meigs in FSW95, and I also took them to my local airport and my flight school where they actually set in Cessna 152, and were given the tour of some other planes on the line. This program will not target any particular student population (e.g. GATE or At-Risk) but will simply involve anyone who might show the interest in it and is willing to stay after school to learn.I understand your concern and I share it, but be assured that if any copies of FS98 arrive, I will do a program weather on large scale as I intened or a scaled down version. In my line of work I often have to be very flexible with materials and approvals. I found out that getting everything ready and setting it up first, always works better then going through approavals and proposals that are then discussed by people who are rarely in the classroom.Sorry the lengthy reply, but maybe this will explain my situation and my intentions better.Robert

OOps, I think I got my replies mixed up. Please see my reply below.Thanks

Guest daves0

Hi Robert...thanks for the explanation.. :)You can count on 1 more FS98 package

Guest Smiley

I've taken the liberty of posting this thread over on another flight sim board (AGW) in their For Sale/Wanted to Buy column.http://agw.warbirdsiii.com/bbs/forumdispla...p?s=&forumid=23I'll look for my old copies of FS software. The old joysticks I have are not in working condition. I already gave away my working ones, sorry. Flight Unlimited version 1 in Windows 95 would be the best simulation for teaching students the ability to control an aircraft with it's hoops in the sky game. It starts with 5 straight and level hoops and works up to aerobatic maneuvers. Having the rings in the sky allows you the ability to see where you are off course similar to MSFS98's instrument approaches with the T's to help allign your flight path. It also allows for getting several people through the hoops in as little as a few seconds each then it resets to go again. Great for having many people trying out a game and not having to wait so long for the reset between students.

Thanks for spreading the info. I am sure it will help. As far FU, it was a great looking sim when it first came out but considernig it only had a small portion of the world to play with I thought that FS98 would be a better choice aty least when we are incorportaing geography. You comments and support are appreciated.Thank you again.

Guest Philip Olson

Well since my wife is a teacher, I am working toward my PPL, I have an extra joystick and a copy of FS98 I guess that I will just have to send them to you. It may be a week or so before I can send them but I will get them there just the same. Good luck and please keep us informed on how it is going. Philip

That would be fine and many, many thanks to you and everyone else who decided to part with their FS98 and old joysticks. I am scheduled to start in January. Thanks again.

Thanks, that will be great! I plan to submit an article with a few pics of our "training" after we get started. Currently things are set for mid January and since the computers are there and there are no budget approvals necessary, it looks as this project is cleared for takeoff-:)Many thanks for your generosity!

great idea. i had the same idea for my former CAP squadron so our cadets could learn more about how an aircraft works without actually having to go out to the airports until theyre ready. was never able to get it off the ground due to budget problems in the squad.btw. you dont need as many copies of the program as you think. just have someone who has a CDRW drive make copies of the program. its not illegal unless you sell the copies. sharing it in a class room should perfectly be fine. hell you can even have microsoft sponsor your program and donate the sims and even the joysticks. theyre always willing to do something like that as long as you present them with something good.should also add that a PII will run FS2000 and FS2002 just fine. thats what im running. just make sure it has enough drive space and atleast 126mb ramgood luck with the program. and deffinitely try getting sponsors for it. would deffinitely give your students a better advantage in getting the stuff you need for them.3rd edit..lol. i do have 2 spare sticks but theyd be of no use to you. ones a radio shack stick and the other is a raider pro stick. lost theyre install floppies awhile ago :(F/O Ernesto AlvarezNorthward FlightCivil Air PatrolFormer Member

Thanks for good wishes, and good ideas. Copying the CD's however would be in violation of the EULA that comes with the software, but I will contact Microsoft if I'll need an extra copy or two.Thanks

Joe, thank you!Just got your copy today, yours and Mr. Mackeys came first today! With two of mine I am already legal on four comps!Thanks again. I am scheduled to start mid January.

Thank you Mr. Mackey,Your FS98 arrived today, but I don't know which one is your message in this thread...so thanks! You and Wingnut were the first two and hopefully not the only two that have responded. The program is set to start in mid January.