Sign in to follow this  

SM260: The first virtual trainer?

Flying with this a/c apparently improves landings with other, comparable, a/c. Of course, this is very subjective, but since I put myself in the average category, it could apply to other average pilots.After a small hour of practice in the SM, other a/c feel significantly simpler to align, flare and land.This effect could be due to the particular handling of the SM: critical wing, excellent (I find) simulation of the yaw, and to a more active need of power during flare.I'm still experimenting with slips, both yaw + counter bank and bank + counter yaw.

HI Shrink,Do you mean our Marchetti SF260? Perhaps it was a small typo. Yes the SF260 does need a little power for a smooth landing.Best Regards,Rob YoungRealAir Simulations

>I'm still experimenting with slips, both yaw + counter bank >and bank + counter yaw. When you speak of slips, I'm having a great time in this aircraft. I've saved a scenario, where I'm close to an airport, but about 5000' above it. Some kind of "make believe" emergency, and I want to get down quick! Instead of spiraling down, I'm just doing a nice and very controlled slip, which works VERY well in this aircraft. And then of course, the look and sensation seems very real in the VC cockpit. Who knows............ with enough "slip" practice in this virtual aircraft, a real pilot just might remember the effects of slipping to loose altitude quick in a real emergency! An added bonus of a slip is too loose more altitude if you're overshooting a runway due to engine failure, or a mountainous enviroment where go-arounds arn't possible. This might just work as a worthwhile realistic virtual trainer in the sense of flight dynamics ------ afterall!!L.Adamson

I know... I do the same. But I'm also working (!) with crosswinds. The way I learned it back then (bank in the wind + counter rudder) seems harder to get than the other one.

Hi Rob,Your SF260 is the first plane in fs2002 where it is possible to constantlymake greasers.With or without engine. A contributing factor is for sure the superb peripheral vision from the VC!!!!But I always retard the power to idle over the threshold at 85kts.Found it easier like in real life, with any plane I've flown so far.Once the power is off, you can use all your concentration for the flare,without having to think about when too pull the power back ;-) Bernt Stolle Capt CRJ

That's indeed what I'm aiming at. But (like I said, I'm average) I still tend to come down a little too fast or a little too low and a little power with this model really saves the day in both cases.

>That's indeed what I'm aiming at.That comes with time.So far I had +8500 realtime hours and +5500 landings to train ;-)In the meantime I'm so incredible good with my landings,that I even know what went wrong, if it doesn't work out as expected. LOLRegardsBernt Stolle Capt CRJ

Guest JonP01

I suppose I had better think about getting this aircraft. Never in 4 years of flight simming have I witnessed such a collective degree of positive feedback about any aircraft. This feedback is especially convincing for me as a number of the people raving about it are real world, active pilots. I am pretty sure my computer horsepower won't really be up this aircraft, but I hope to be "nicely" upgraded within 6 months in any case. If it has to sit in the hangar till then so be it.

Hi Jon,We don't claim the Marchetti SF260 is perfect, but our aim was to provide the IFR training pilot with a faithfull feel of real flying, and the VFR pilot with emphatic aircraft feedback if he got too far out of the safe handling envelope, such that pushing one's luck for instance with a tight turn at low speed you get a firm wrap on the knuckles as the SF260 stalls and plummets with no mercy!I agree with Bernt though on the landings, and I've never had any problems greasing her on, though I must admit I've had a lot of practice over the development period.Best Regards,Rob YoungRealAir Simulations