Sign in to follow this  

Question on files to improve someone's aircraft

After all the bad feelings I've seen in this forum when it comes to stealing other peoples work, I would like to ask if this is ok before I upload. The question - I have modified files from aircraft A to improve aircraft B. I have A's permission to upload the files. I cannot contact the maker of B. I also have files I made that are included. Is it right to improve aircraft B (none of his files are used) without his permission. Thanks for the advise. I think this is a great forum.

Guest eko

Ahhhh, the dreaded "cannot contact the original author for permission" syndrome.I have a folder full of repaints, modifications, tweaked panels, etc. which I have not released because of this. At this point, I have given up hope on hearing from the original authors, so... I will never be able to share these with the community.It makes me sad, but I personally have decided not to release something unless I get an official go-ahead. Even though I always fully credit all original authors, take as little credit for myself as is possible (and I should, since I am usually building upon others work), and always release under the terms of the original authors license... I still won't release these because of a fear of getting burned, flamed, or accused of stealing.The simulation community can be SOOO touchy about these things, you are basically getting involved in russian roulette if you release without an official go-ahead.MOST authors are very cool about it, and will gladly accept a modification/improvement/update if all credits are given, etc. But... and this is a big BUT... that's not always the case. Even if your intentions are most honorable, you will get run through the coals if you update/modify the wrong authors work.Not much of an answer, but the way I (sadly) have come to view the flightsim community. Many fine, willing to share folks out there... but not all of them.

Yea, I think eko has put it in the way I see it. It is an incredibly touchy, so its pretty much your rear if you release it. Although, if you read the copyright on the original, it may say that you can upload something if full credit is given. Depends on how the author sees it. :-)http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/edenw/FS_..._banner_je7.jpg Long Live General Aviation!