Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Is anyone making a GMAX 737-400...?

one is already madeby some Airrene mob or something like that

Guest hawaiian_flyer

The FFX plane is great, for freeware. ITS UNBELEIVABLE!Heres a shot in Aloha Airlines colors painted by me!

sorry for my naievity but whats so unbeliveable about it??

That is a nice one.... Does it offer the dynamic (virtual) wing views like Ariane's or POSKY's CRJ?-John

Guest abent

Thanks gents for the info. I really really like Dreamfleet's cockpit, just looking for a plane with the detail of some of the GMAX planes I've seen. Not to say that DF's is not good, infact it's really quite good. Simply, IMHO, not as good as some of the freeware GMAX planes.Adam

Guest hawaiian_flyer

its just good.....................ok?

Guest abent

You are absolutely correct. The wing is just a static 2d bitmap from my understanding. I had asked DF if they could at least make a couple other static wing views - specifically one with full flap down config. They didn't seem interested. I can't blame them - they had already done a great deal of work converting it to FS2K2 plus gave us that great TCAS. They also had other projects going on at the time, I believe. I'm going to look into Arianne (sp?) myself. Maybe they'll have a moving wing view. I can't see trading Df's 2D cockpit for anything though! DF's cockpit combined with a plane of the quality of some of the recent GMAX freeware releases and IMHO you'd have a real winner!Adam :)

"From what I understand The wing view thing is nothing new, anyone can do it to any model."There's three ways it can be done.... The first--use of static bitmaps. These are often the most visually stunning, but the drawbacks include no moving control surfaces, and when one pans down, the bitmap stays fixed. Some developers include a flaps down bmp, spoilers extended bitmap, etc... But a good virtual wing view is still superior in the way the parts move dynamically.The second, which was the method referenced in the Ariane thread, is to manipulate spot view. This isn't always certain, and the results are often less than satisfactory. That was how George created his shot....The third, which is employed by Ariane, Flight1 (With their 421C) POSKY and others, is to offer a "virtual" wing. This cannot be done by anyone other than the designer-the user can only adjust the eyepoint in the aircraft.cfg to be adjacent to the wing, but if the designer hasn't included one, the user is out of luck. It involves creating an interior and exterior group in gmax, although FSDS just allows you to tag the part as viewable via the interior. In the case of gmax, you clone all the parts you want included in both views. That's why Ariane's model has a virtual wing, but no virtual cockpit. They chose to clone just the parts that make up an increasingly popular request--recognition and duplication of the pax view. Same holds true of POSKY's great CRJ, although somewhere in the cloning process only the exterior view of the ailerons was animated. Now I recall the FFX 737 pictured in this thread, that the author's specifically campaign against the virtual wing views. They hold that the pilot can't see the wing, thus in the interest of realism, it's not included. Of course don't tell that to the NW Airlines pilot on our flight in the big '99 Detroit blizzard. I was one of the thousands stranded and held "hostage" because the deicing systems were overwhelmed. In our case, the pilot came back to view the wing while we were lined up for the runway, after the aircraft behind us (Bless their souls) alerted the pilot to ice buildup. He took one look at the wing, and back to the gate we went.... So the pilot "can" see the wing, if he's motivated to walk into the cabin :)Was anyone else here caught in that storm? It popped into my head because I learned Thursday I have to go back to Detroit in November for some applications training...