Sign in to follow this  

GF4 + Cacheman = :-(

aka "Captain Slarty's revenge"... :-(OK, this could not happen to me, right?I, who has been ignoring everyone who said to leave Win98 alone,because Cacheman has served me so well ever since the Win95 days..and setting the Vcache optimization to "Power User" sure feels good and has got to improve performance over forcing Windows to figure it out!So far so good, everything worked great with my trusty GF2MX 32Meg card. But then I read GeofA and others posting really liking their GF4 cards and I took the plunge.I went out and spent the equivalent of 30 cases of beer on a brand new, shiny GF4 4200 128Meg video card and plugged it in..Well.. the visuals have improved.. but why is the hard drive light blinking every few seconds? This is distracting (!) and cannot possibly be good for performance, I think.. even when I press Pause, the disk activity continues for ages.. not good.. A few posts in the forums.. has anyone seen this before?I vaguely remember someone once complaining about this, but cannot find the post..OK.. I can fix this.. Detonator Destroyer, re-install the drivers that came with the card (29.42), no better.. Install DirectX 8.1. from the CD.. no better.. Tinker with every setting under Options/Display and the anti-aliasing settings in the drivers.. This will not go away..Then.. two days later: brain-wave, lets go back to basics, disable Cacheman optimization and.. Bingo!.. problem gone..So, just in case any of you are still happily running Cacheman..the day will come when you outgrow its usefulness! Be prepared to switch it off..My setup: Celeron1000, 440BX chipset, Win98SE, 384 Meg RAM, GF4 4200.Do I like the new card? I love it! It is like having a whole new version of FS2k2..Now, I wonder if I should get rid of the dedicated Windows Swap File which I have sworn by ever since the Win95 days..?

Bert

It's nice to hear you finally figured out what the problem was Bert. It sounds like you were using the HDD instead of the HDD cache :-) . Cacheman will do things like that - and none of them are good. Same for RamBooster and other, similar, "wonder" utilities. Anyway, glad all is working and you can now enjoy the 4200.TripPS: Yes, I'd reset the swapfile also.