Sign in to follow this  

Opinions on Soundcards for new system

I've narrowed down the system I am looking at to the following:P4 1.6A Northwood Abit BD7 II Mobo (Overclocking the CPU to 2400)512MB DDRGeForce4 4200Now...the soundcard is the question... I have a Diamond MX300 card which has served its purpose for the past 3 years and has performed flawlessly for me... I would like to move up to Win XP, but the card is not supported (well they say it is, but Ive tried XP 3 times and could NEVER get it to work) So whats the soundcard of choice for simming?? I've heard about the Creative cards taking CPU power. Whats the difference between an Audigy and an Audigy Gamer?? What about the Hercules cards?? I've been reading about stutters but it seems related to vidcard drivers. I've read other forums and it seems to be a clear split on what the card of choice is (kinda like the AMD/Intel thing) Ya either like it or ya don't :)Thanks in advance!Chris

You building the system yourself? Buying from computer Ave?

Hi,The difference between the Audigy and the Audigy gamer is that the Audigy comes with a connection box which takes up a 5.25' drive bay with Optical I/O ports, Aux I/O ports, Mic, Speaker & volume controls on the front. This is aimed mainly at musicians. For FS2K2 purposes the Audigy Gamer would suffice. I am currently using the Sound Blaster Live Platinum which was the predecessor of the Audigy and have no complaints under WinXP. There is also the Sound Blaster Live Player which like the Audigy is the same card but without the front connections box. Also keep a hold of your old card as if you can get it to work it would be great to use with Roger Wilco if you fly online, using your main card for FS2K2 sounds through the speakers and your old card for ATC voice through a headset/Roger Wilco.CheersCJ

Spitfire:Looks like I'll be shopping from a variety of placesCPU/Vidcard from Comp AveMobo/Mem from Comp BoulComp Ave doesn't have the BD7, and I don't know what kind of memory Ave sells, I know Boulevard sells Samsung though.Chris