Sign in to follow this  
Guest georgi55

Get Rid Of SP1...How..???

Guest TerryT

Since I did not select the larger version of the SP1 installation, I could not use the "Add/Remove function. In fact my machine kept going into a "Boot-up Loop" so finally the computer shop had to install Windows XP Home over the top of SP1. This then basically deleted SP1 for me. Now I am only loading critical fixes other than SP1. I did hear where after October that Microsoft was going to make it so that new individual security fixes would not load until they first detected SP1 on your machine. Can anyone verify this? It does sound like something Microsoft would try to do.Terry

I suspect you need to get the full SP1 (138MB) download vice using the on-line installer. If you only have a 56K modem, forget that idea. How come the computer shop didn't reinstall it. They should have a CD copy by now! You can also order a CD for SP1 for $9.99 over the internet.I don't know for sure about Microsoft's plans for updates but most of the updates on the site were Pre-SP1 and were included with the SP1 as a mass update.I have three computers and didn't have one bit of problems with the installation. I did download the entire SP1 and updated each computer over my home LAN with this download.When you are installing SP1 make sure you have plenty of hardrive space, RAM, and turn off your virus program.

Guest georgi55

Yap make sure you got space....Windows XP is taking over all of 4GB I have him on C drive.Now got only 300MB left on C after SP1 - used to have 600. (and I didnt archive files so i can uninstall)Georgi